Micro/Hood

Status
Not open for further replies.

volt102

This question comes up from the 2006 Eastern Section Meeting that took place last month in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; A cord connected GE Space-Maker (Microwave/Hood) was to be installed in a dwelling’s kitchen and the electrician provided a 125V 15A duplex receptacle to facilitate the microwaves power needs, is this a code compliant method?

Jim
New Hampshire

Scroll down to my next post. OP has been re-written.....

Last edited:

SLC James

I say yes. Although a 20 A ded. would have been better. Some micro/hood combos draw 2kw. (+\-)and as far as I can find there is no such code requirement to install a individual branch circuit for a micro.

JohnJ0906

I wouldn't chance anything less than a 20 amp dedicated circuit. Even if the present model is of low enough wattage, the fancy upgrade 5 years down the road might not be. Mine is a 1600 watt, and I've seen larger.

volt102

SLC James said:
I say yes. Although a 20 A ded. would have been better. Some micro/hood combos draw 2kw. (+\-)and as far as I can find there is no such code requirement to install a individual branch circuit for a micro.

The question is a Micro/Hood

Jim
New Hampshire

SLC James

okay, his question was a 15 A ded code compliant, I said yes. does the NEC specify range hood from micro\hood. if it does I can't find it. either way what's the difference? Can you still hard wire a range hood off a 15A branch circuit? 422.16 (B) (3) doesnt seem to rule it out.

Last edited:

volt102

OK Reworded to add better clarity.(I hope)

This question comes up from the 2006 Eastern Section Meeting that took place last month in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; A cord connected GE Space-Maker (Microwave/Hood) was to be installed in a dwelling?s kitchen and the electrician provided a 125V 15A duplex receptacle with its own 15A circuit to facilitate the microwaves power needs (1200W), is this a code compliant method?

Jim
New Hampshire

mdshunk

That permanently installed appliance is more than 50% of the circuit's ampacity. This is okay, since 210.23(A)(2) does not seem to have been violated (no other loads are being served).

This is not one of the 210.11(C) required circuits, so it may stay at 15 amp.

I'm not seeing the problem.

volt102

Some inspectors/electricians insist that a single receptacle needs to be installed. That is the real question. Is the solution true?

Jim
New Hampshire

yanici

Occupation
Old Retired Master/Journeyman Electrician
["SLC James I say yes. Although a 20 A ded. would have been better. Some micro/hood combos draw 2kw. (+\-)and as far as I can find there is no such code requirement to install a individual branch circuit for a micro. "]

2005 NEC 422.16(B)(4) Talks about range hoods that are cord connected. It goes on to say that the receptacle needs to be supplied by an "individual branch circuit."

iwire

Staff member
mdshunk said:
A single duplex is an individual branch circuit when only the micro-hood is plugged into it.

I agree and so does the CMP.
icon6.gif

iwire

Staff member
volt102 said:
Not that I would nor ever seen it - Then why not two duplexes.

Jim
New Hampshire

IMO there is no limit to the number of receptacles attached to an individual branch circuit.

The only limit is the amount of utilization equipment connect to it.

The definition of individual branch circuit and recent CMP comments back up my view.

Bob

JohnJ0906

volt102 said:
Some inspectors/electricians insist that a single receptacle needs to be installed. That is the real question. Is the solution true?

Jim
New Hampshire
Perhaps their reasoning is that with a duplex recepticle it is no longer DEDICATED, something else can be plugged in on the circuit.

iwire

Staff member
JohnJ0906 said:
Perhaps their reasoning is that with a duplex recepticle it is no longer DEDICATED, something else can be plugged in on the circuit.

Who says it has to be dedicated and what is the NEC definition of dedicated?

JohnJ0906

As far as I can find, the NEC dosn't require it or define it. Whether or not a jurisdiction does I cant say. Its funny, all these years Iv'e been using the term "dedicated", and the NEC doesn't define it! Whoops!

allenwayne

No but it does say that if there is one on an individual branch circuit shall not have a rating less than of the branch circuit.210.21(BX3).

210.21 B 2 -where connected to a branch circuit supplying 2 or more receptacles or outlets 210.21 (BX2)Now a duplex is considered 2 receptacle outlets and as such a 14 wire circuit and a 15 amp recp only has a max. load of 12 amps as does a 12 wire circuit with a 15 amp receptacle.But if you have a 12 wire circuit with a 20 amp receptacle it now has a max load of 16 amps.

Maybe I`m just to used to new construction, but to me it is easier to bring all me 12 wire into one area and not worry about does this get a 12 or a 14 wire.I pull all my HR`S first to where I want them to land.Usually The kitchen is just 12 wire and I pull them all at once (call me lazy )

iwire

Staff member
JohnJ0906 said:
As far as I can find, the NEC dosn't require it or define it. Whether or not a jurisdiction does I cant say. Its funny, all these years Iv'e been using the term "dedicated", and the NEC doesn't define it! Whoops!

The NEC uses the word dedicated a lot, most times it is used to describe a 'dedicated space'.

However I find at least three places in the NEC where they use the term 'dedicated circuit'.

Usually the term used is "Individual Branch Circuit".

That term is defined and only requires that only one piece of utilization equipment is supplied, there is no limitation on the number of receptacles.

JohnJ0906

I'm not sure I understand. How do you insure only one utilization equipment is supplied if the # of recepticle is not limited. I agree that there is nothing in the code, it just doesn't make sense. The commentary in the nec handbook says "An individual branch circuit supplies only one single recepticle for the connection of a singlr attachment plug" Yes, I know that commentary isn't code, so dont shoot me!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.