Micro/Hood

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Sense?

You want it to make sense? :D

How do you insure only one utilization equipment is supplied if the # of receptacle is not limited.

How do we ensure compliance with many code rules?

Say I use a 200 amp fused disconnect to supply a 125 amp load, how do we ensure someone will not install larger fuses later?

It has always been my view that the definition of "Individual Branch Circuit" does not require a single receptacle. Now the CMP seems to have backed up that view.

2-2 Log # 3 NEC-P02​
Final Action: Reject
(100.Branch Circuit, Individual)

_____________________________________________________________​
Submitter:​
Daniel Leaf, Seneca, SC

Recommendation:​
Revise as follows:
A branch circuit that supplies only one utilization equipment or a single
receptacle .

Substantiation:​
A branch circuit with multiple unused receptacles but
supplying only one equipment literally meets the present definition. An
individual branch circuit may supply any load for which it is rated. A branch
circuit supplying two or more receptacles (could be a duplex) is limited to
loads specified in 2 0.23(A)( ) and (A)(2). By special permission, a circuit
with multiple receptacles (could be other than parallel blade type) to supply
utilization equipment that is normally or regularly moved (such as a welder or
floor polisher) may still be considered as an individual circuit. An approved
utilization equipment with two supply cords/caps is still one utilization
equipment and could utilize a multiple receptacle, per the proposal.

Panel Meeting Action: Reject
Panel Statement:​
The definition proposed by the submitter is too restrictive.
A receptacle other than a single receptacle could be used and other means such
as configuration or arrangement of the equipment could limit the application to
a single utilization equipment.

Number Eligible to Vote: 12
Ballot Results:​
Affirmative: 2

iwire

Staff member
John this has been a hotly debated topic in the past.

Many people..inspectors and electricians alike are not willing to accept the rule as written and maintain a single receptacle must be used.

I think it make a lot of sense to use a single receptacle but it is not (IMO) required.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
It may be that the JHA is looking at this as needing a gfi because it is in the kitchen, if not gfi protected then single recepticle would be the call. I don't see what else you would be plugging in any how , the plug is over the range in a cabinet.I also don't see the need to run circuits based on "what if "they change the micro/hood down the road.Although it seems to make the most sense to run the whole kitchen in #12 you have to remember that #14 is rated at 20 amps and only allowed to be fused at 15 amps.If you are calculating your loads why give the homeowner free wire , maybe we should run #10 to the outlets in the bedrooms "what if " they put in a 8.5KW night light or "what if " they ........? If they whanted a giant micro hood it would make more sense for them to put it in to start with rather then change it later.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
acrwc10,
It may be that the JHA is looking at this as needing a gfi because it is in the kitchen, if not gfi protected then single recepticle would be the call.
What exception permits a non-GFCI protected receptacle, single or otherwise, in the areas of a kitchen that requrie GCFI protected receptacles?
Don

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
don_resqcapt19 said:
acrwc10,

What exception permits a non-GFCI protected receptacle, single or otherwise, in the areas of a kitchen that requrie GCFI protected receptacles?
Don

sorry I should have elaberated , I didn't think the inspector would be correct in saying this should be gfi protected.In my area I have been required by inspectors to put on single recepticles on some appliances such as disposal,or washing machine.

210-21(b)(1) A single recepticle on a branch circuit with no other divice or outlet , shall have an amp rating equal to the rating of that cicuit

article 100 a single recepticle is a single contact device with no other contact device on the same yoke.

It is many times easier to do some simple change to apease a head strong inspector then to argue the point and have to call a reinspect,slowing down the time line of work.

Right or wrong to put on a single receptcle is not going to make an unsafe installation.and $1.50 is a cheap way to resolve what could be a problem if the inspector wants to be right

iwire

Staff member
acrwc10 said:
Right or wrong to put on a single receptacle is not going to make an unsafe installation.and $1.50 is a cheap way to resolve what could be a problem if the inspector wants to be right

The problem with that is that here at this forum we discuss the requirements of the NEC.

If you want to do things above and beyond NEC requirements that is certainly your option however in my opinion it is important for everyone to know the requirements so they can make their own decisions.
icon7.gif

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
iwire said:
John this has been a hotly debated topic in the past.

Many people..inspectors and electricians alike are not willing to accept the rule as written and maintain a single receptacle must be used.

I think it make a lot of sense to use a single receptacle but it is not (IMO) required.

What was that about only NEC requirements ?was that you or someone else?

volt102

Similar to the 30 circuit panelboard using the 6 disconnect rule in 230.71 isn't it?

It's not illegal until someone adds the seventh breaker.

However, the duplex is dependent on a HOMEOWNER to stay code compliant

Finally, as a side note that I probably shouldn't admit to in here, the duplex behind my fridge, that is on an individual 15 A circuit, supplies my fridge and my microwave that is on the countertop that is just to the right of my fridge. It allows me to have my cellphone chargers (Work+Personal) plugged into the duplex that is behind the microwave.

Jim
New Hampshire

iwire

Staff member
volt102 said:
Similar to the 30 circuit panelboard using the 6 disconnect rule in 230.71 isn't it?

It's not illegal until someone adds the seventh breaker.

However, the duplex is dependent on a HOMEOWNER to stay code compliant

Did they stop selling breakers at the big box store?
icon12.gif

Brady Electric

Micro Hood

Micro Hood

I use a deciated 20A single rec in the cab so that only the microwave can be plugged in. I have found that most undercab microwaves pull more than a 15A circuit. Besides it doesn't cost much more to pull a 20A circuit and you are covered no matter what size microwave the home owner uses. Most of the time the microwave is not in the house when we wire it. Semper Fi. Buddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.