pole spacing

Status
Not open for further replies.

kknaas

I am trying to find information about the maximum spacing for utility poles. I am trying to run a #2 quad overhead with a 285' span. Any suggestions?

M. D.

Check 225
For overhead spans up to 50 feet, the minimum conductor size for outside branch circuits is 10 AWG. For longer spans, it's 8 AWG And as long as the proper distance from the ground is maintained I think the distance between is up to you

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
my handbook states that in straight portions of the line 125 ft is maximum.
not testifying, just reading :D

Jhaney

I don't have the information in front of me but you have to keep in mind ice build up and since your profile says indiana that is something that you will have to consider. its been too many years since I designed a aerial route to try and remember it but when I get home I'll look it up and pass it on

kknaas

Thanks for the information. I am trying to cross a parking lot to feed a temporary (2 years) building. The length is 215', not the 285' I first stated.

Last edited:

charlie

You will have a problem if you don't guy it. You can probably do it with a pair of 35 foot, class 5 poles (you will need the class 5 poles for the transverse loading in a heavy loading district like Indiana), 8M guys installed with a 1:1 lead, and 15M hand anchors. Pull enough sag out of it to maintain proper clearances. I didn't do any calculations and I am not an engineer. However, this is pretty standard. Be sure to use the proper grips for the guys and the neutral. :smile:

Jhaney

after doing the math for heavy loaded area with 215 ft span you will need minimum 35ft class 5 pole and if its a single span it will need to dead end guyed at both ends. This is calculated with the attachment point being 2ft from the top of the pole.

hope this helps

charlie

A 35 foot pole should be set 5? foot deep. Use a cross bolt 6" down from the top of the pole and your eye bolt 6" down from that. Attach your guy plate 6" below that (or 6" down from the cross bolt and the eye bolt 6" below the anchor plate). In short, do not make any holes through the pole any closer than 6" apart. :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.