gas code

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricmanscott

The problem is this. AC condensor disco is within 3 feet of a gas meter. I thought it was clear but I just eyeballed it and I'm not even sure such a code exists although I think it does.

Plumbing inspector says it has to be moved. The problem is...and the reason it is where it is... the only other space for it will violate 110.26. (over the condensor)

So which violation will win out?

growler

Plumbing inspector says it has to be moved.

If the plumbing inspector wants it moved then let him come up with the code that requires this.

I have never even thought about an A/C disconnect. I try to keep the service cable away from the gas meter & pipe just in case there is a melt down.
With no overcurrent protection it's possible to get a lot of heat & arcing but an A/C disconnect is protected with 15-35 A. breaker in most cases.
What's the danger?

electricmanscott

Found this on the serving utility website. Guess it answers my question. But I have a new one. Does the plumbing inspector enforce utility co requirements?

604. Meter Location
The location of the riser/meter fit on the outside of the foundation must
comply with Company standards including the following considerations:
a) The meter fit should be located at the front or sides of the building or
house.
b) The meter fit should be 3 feet away from any windows, louvers,
vents, or any opening to the building or house.
c) The meter fit should be 3 feet away from any electrical device,
electrical outlet, transformers, or any other potential ignition source.
d) The meter fit should be 10 feet from any forced air intake.
e) The meter fit cannot be underneath porches, decks or overhangs.
NSTAR Gas will supply an as-built drawing of the main and gas line
installation upon request

hardworkingstiff

Found this on the serving utility website. Guess it answers my question. But I have a new one. Does the plumbing inspector enforce utility co requirements?

604. Meter Location
The location of the riser/meter fit on the outside of the foundation must
comply with Company standards including the following considerations:
a) The meter fit should be located at the front or sides of the building or
house.
b) The meter fit should be 3 feet away from any windows, louvers,
vents, or any opening to the building or house.
c) The meter fit should be 3 feet away from any electrical device,
electrical outlet, transformers, or any other potential ignition source.
d) The meter fit should be 10 feet from any forced air intake.
e) The meter fit cannot be underneath porches, decks or overhangs.
NSTAR Gas will supply an as-built drawing of the main and gas line
installation upon request.

I think they need to move the meter. :D

charlie

From the 2009 Edition of NFPA 54, National Fuel Gas Code, Section 5.8.5.1 Line Gas Pressure Regulators, (3) The regulator vent shall terminate at least 3 ft. (0.9 m) from a source of ignition.

There are no requirements for the location of the gas meter with respect to sources of ignition. :smile:

This is basically semantics but it reads less stringent than the NEC. Whereas the NEC is all about "shall" and "shall not" this code uses the word "should". I "should" change the oil in my vehicle more often. It is a much softer word. To me it sounds like it leaves the window open for inspector discretion and since the NEC leaves no uncertainty I would vote for that getting the nod.

Don't know if this helps but it is the way I read it.

charlie

NSTAR is leaving a bit of wiggle room for their people to make some allowances for unusual situations. If the are applying rules in the same manner as the intent of the NESC, should is the same as shall unless nothing else can be done to remedy the situation. :)

nakulak

I think its poor planning, unworkmanlike, and damned dangerous to put any electric within 3' of a gas meter. most gas meters have the regulator relief valve adjacent to them, and when the gas company pipeline pressure spikes everyone in the neighborhood might have gas blowing off. Why would you want to put a possible source of ignition near that ? I don't care if the inspector has a code section or not - he's right, and its not a good place for the disco.

Status
Not open for further replies.