1200 amp service

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwelectric

I was asked about this today and didn?t have a good answer

A service has a 1200 amp disconnect that supplies a trough with six 200 amp disconnects. Water pipe and steel is bonded in the trough.

From the 200 amp disconnects to a meter base and on to the panel in each of the six units. From the 200 amp disconnect an equipment grounding conductor is installed and bonded with the neutral in the meter base and ran on to the panel in each of the units.

I have never seen or heard of anything like this and feel as though that the bonding in the meter would be a violation.

Comments?

EDITED;
Sorry for the big font but I was at school when I posted and did not realize that the type was so large until I got home

Last edited:

mdshunk

They call that cold sequence metering, and that bond in the meter base is unavoidable, as far as I know. I don't think anyone makes a meter can with an insulated neutral assembly.

iwire

Staff member
Mike I may not be following you here but if I understand it I do not see it as any different than any service supplied with metal raceway.

Bond in the meter, bond at the disconect, current flowing through the raceway.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
meter

meter

Meter bases with insulated neutrals are avaialable for this situation.

iwire

Staff member
augie47 said:
Meter bases with insulated neutrals are avaialable for this situation.

For a lot of us that is not an option, we must use a power company specified Meter.

Beyond that the NEC allows the situation Mike describes.:smile:

250.142(B) Exception No. 2.

mdshunk

iwire said:
Beyond that the NEC allows the situation Mike describes.:smile:

250.142(B) Exception No. 2.
Wow... that exception pretty much describes Mike's installation word-for-word. Yes, it's pretty clear that it's permitted.

Status
Not open for further replies.