I Can't make it in Cal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky_magoo

Hi guys, I am a CA. state certified journeyman electrician. I make the same wage I made twenty-five years ago. I make more than most guys in our shop. This is because I have my certification, I am the only one. We have about 18 electricians.

I can't make it here anymore. My wife wants to move to Colorodo Springs. Can anyone tell me about the employment opportunities there?

I make twenty bucks an hour. That is real good money on CA's central coast.

What is it like in Colorodo Springs? What are wages? What does it cost to rent a small house?

What does gas cost a gallon?

e57

$20!!!!! I cant even get people to show up for that money here in SF. (Well, maybe the completely skill-less?) Granted cost of living is much higher than where you are.

Not sure about CO Springs, but my advice is to relocate to where there is a much higher population density of extremely afluent people and shortage of blue collar people. Base you decision on a simular factor to that. SF, Marin, Alemeda, San Mateo, Napa etc. all do very well for that reason. Supply and demand....

According to this Sparkies are doing roughly $20 in CO Springs. I dont know what it cost to live there...

Also see the bottom table on this page.
Napa has fewer electricians, growing afluent population.... SF has an extremely high and established afluent population with a high density, and most its blue collar workers are commuter imports from surrounding counties where the cost of living is lower than SF proper.

Napa vs. SF as examples you would do better in Napa for two reasons better income, and better chances of lower cost of living nearby. And I often see Napa electricians down here working as they are not too far. (And customers have homes in both places...) That said I have had less than a seven mile commute and forty straights for many years now, and haven't had to leave SF for work unless I was covering an existing customer.

edit to add bold

Last edited:

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
A union journeyman in San Mateo CA. is seeing $42.00 hr on his check after all the health etc. I don't think you are getting a fair wage,even for the central coast. The only thing cheaper in your area is housing. Food, Gas,etc. cost the same for the most part no matter what part of the state you are in.

John Valdes

Occupation
Retired Electrician
Never disclose your salary to anyone. I did it when I was much younger and it always came back and bit me.
I got a new job once and told the guy I was working with how much I made. It turns out that he had been there for several years and was making less than me. You can imagine how both of us felt. I quit the next day.

earshavewalls

You will need to get a Colorado Journeyman's license, and pick the highest one you can, they have several levels you can be licensed in. I don't think they have a reciprocal arrangement with California licenses. The wages in Colorado are mid-range as far as the country goes. You should be able to get more than $20 and hour, though.
The cost of living in Colorado Springs is less than Denver, so you should do fine at the wage you are used to, but I would ask for more if I were you, with the years of experience that you have.
Good Luck!

larry t

Electrician

Electrician

Hi.... If it were me I would focus on building permits in a given area. I believe Las Vegas is still a growing area. If you need to go to Colorado I would still focus on building permits and building trends in a given area.

Good luck Larry

sparky_magoo

Thanks for all of the info. You have collectively given me some great tips I will certainly follow up on. I like where i live, but I can't afford it here anymore. You all know what I make an hour. The shop charges 75 bucks an hour for my time. They charge 65 bucks for the less skilled "non-certified journeyman" electricians. The sub-standard work my company does is depressing. I need to get out of here.

This is sad to say, but my company's philosiphy is not to do work to code, but snake work past inspection. It makes me sick.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
A journeyman typically makes around $20 an hour in my area (which I like better than the Springs, but I grew up here). I don't make that much, but I am a resi guy learning commercial, so it's to be expected, IMO.

Resi has slowed way down for a time, commercial seems to be chugging right along, in my area.

sparky_magoo

Thanks George, I appreciate the info. We all know you live in Fort Collins. I am also weak in commercial work. I am not good at pipe bending. I commend you on your efforts to step up & learn conduit.

Just because CA. certifies me as a "general journeyman", doesn't mean I am one. I know code, theory, & troubleshooting well, but bending pipe kicks my butt.

LawnGuyLandSparky

brian john said:
Washington DC is pleading for skilled, qualified, professional electricians. Scale is around $32.00 plus bennies

No wonder they're pleading. Here in NY it's $46.00 on the check, plus bennies and fringes.

LawnGuyLandSparky

sparky_magoo said:
Hi guys, I am a CA. state certified journeyman electrician. I make the same wage I made twenty-five years ago. I make more than most guys in our shop. This is because I have my certification, I am the only one. We have about 18 electricians.

I can't make it here anymore. My wife wants to move to Colorodo Springs. Can anyone tell me about the employment opportunities there?

I make twenty bucks an hour. That is real good money on CA's central coast.

What is it like in Colorodo Springs? What are wages? What does it cost to rent a small house?

What does gas cost a gallon?

Are you serious? 25 years have gone by and you have not seen a single raise?

sparky_magoo said:
Thanks George, I appreciate the info. We all know you live in Fort Collins. I am also weak in commercial work. I am not good at pipe bending. I commend you on your efforts to step up & learn conduit.

Just because CA. certifies me as a "general journeyman", doesn't mean I am one. I know code, theory, & troubleshooting well, but bending pipe kicks my butt.

Commercial is more about skill and less about rampant speed and blazing through house after house like a rabid monkey. Consider taking a position with a commercial outfit and learn pipebending. You'll pick it up it's NOT rocket science.

BTW I learned many years ago that employers who play the game "discuss your wages with nobody" are the ones who don't pay anyone what they're worth, their payscales are based on the lack of the employees negotiation skills.

growler

sparky_magoo said:

My advise is don't try to compete in areas where you don't stand a chance. Anyone that's good a troubleshooting shouldn't have trouble finding a job. Contact all the service companies in the area where you wish to work. A good service tech. can make more money than some kid that fast at running conduit.

I'm not very good at pulling Romex. I'm not going to compete at wiring track houses.

Always try to sell what you do know how to do. The positives.;)

Check out CA Central Valley, the non-union is fairly strong, but for the best wage, join the union. I lived in Visalia for a couple of years. Booming community very affordable. House rentals are about $1300-1500/mo. for a 2,000sq' home less than five years old. only two hours from Pismo Beach and 30 minutes to the Sierra Nevada Mtns. 3 hours to LA 4 hours to San Fran, smack dab in the middle. Check out Local 100 out of Fresno. Good Luck

Jeff

ty

Wanna move to the right coast?
Start work tomorrow.

It sounds like your company is not good.

But, you cannot judge their rate for what you make an hour.
Your hourly rate, plus benefits, paid vacations, FICA, all come into play in what they bill-out.
Also, if they supply you with a truck, fuel and maintenance go into that figure.
If they supply company uniforms, training, etc.
All overhead is taken into concideration with what they bill-out hourly.

A good residential guy can easily get $20+ here plus company truck, paid vacations, sick pay, benefits.
Taxes are relatively low here.

dana1028

sparky_magoo said:

Sparky - this is just an 'I'm curious' question - how did you get a 'general' journeyman cert. in CA when you don't have much experience in commercial? There is something like 6000-8000 hrs. of commercial/industrial hrs. required to qualify to test for the 'general journeyman' cert. [At least that was the requirement when I tested....maybe they've changed the requirements since then?].

They were correct in the wages for the San Fran bay area...$43+/hr. + benefits. The union is accepting applications to join from non-union personnel [this is because of the mandatory certification and continuing education...I'm not a union electrician but I did check into the program]. There is a lot of work up here and I could put you in touch with some good shops if you have any interest in this area. These are good quality shops, not hacks.

Again, good luck - Colorado Springs is some beautiful country.

Status
Not open for further replies.