Breaker Locks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a h/o who is furious about mounting any discos on his inside walls of his residence. He has a sauna and a steam generator shower on the second floor. They both require 220volt circuits 30 amps and disconnecting means. Can i use a breaker lock at the panel for these 2 - 30 amp breakers as a substitute for the disconnecting means or am i stuck with the disco's. Anyone ever run into this problem with a h/o. What do you think?

iwire

Staff member
I doubt you can do that.

But nothing says you have to use a ugly surface mounted disconnect switch

Get yourself a 2 pole 30 amp toggle switch, mount a 4" square box in the wall with a single gang plaster ring and use a plate to match the other devices.

Here is an example of one, you can get them with out the surface mount enclosure.

971_300.jpg

thanks for the switch, but what are you doubting i can do? do you know if i can or not install the breaker locks as a substitute?

480sparky

I can't find it right now, but someone makes a toggle-switch cover with a rounded plate that follows the arc of the toggle as it is operated. The arc of the plate is right next to the toggle and has a hole in the center.

I'd suggest looking at one of those. Install a deep 4" box in the wall and a single gang mud ring so you'll have plenty of room. Install a 30a disco like Iwire posted. Install this cover plate, and it can be used as a lockable disconnect.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
First off let me state I think the 30 amp wall switch is the apropriate answer, but, playing devils advocate for a minute. 680.41 exempts the "emergency switch" from single family dwellings.
Disconnect for associated eaquipmet as would be required by 680.43 are required to be accessible to the equipment (680.12) so those switche scould be at the pump/heater, etc and not necessarily in sight of he spa or shower. Am I incorrect or overlooking something ?

K2500

680.12 Does say "readily accessable and within line of sight from its equipment." So I guess if the pump/heater are remotely located, no disconect would be required at the spa/shower in a single family dwelling, but at the equipment itself.

I have a h/o who is furious about mounting any discos on his inside walls of his residence. He has a sauna and a steam generator shower on the second floor. They both require 220volt circuits 30 amps and disconnecting means. Can i use a breaker lock at the panel for these 2 - 30 amp breakers as a substitute for the disconnecting means or am i stuck with the disco's. Anyone ever run into this problem with a h/o. What do you think?

See the 422.1, and then;
Read and follow the requirements of 422.31(B).
Read the unit installation instructions, some require GFCI protection, this would change the type of breaker lock to be installed.
Make sure the installation instructions do not call for a local disconnect.

Steam shower and Sauna

Steam shower and Sauna

The OP is asking about steam showers and saunas...How does this direct one to 680.41, or Art 680 at all?

As I mentioned, do not forget to read the manufacturer's installation instruction, each manufacturer may have different requirements such as GFCI protection.

ivsenroute

The OP is asking about steam showers and saunas...How does this direct one to 680.41, or Art 680 at all?

As I mentioned, do not forget to read the manufacturer's installation instruction, each manufacturer may have different requirements such as GFCI protection.

In my opinion, 680 does not apply but then again, how is a sauna considered an appliance.

I can see the steam unit for the shower being called an appliance, no different than a hot water heater but the sauna is an enclosed unit that you go into. 422 may be the best application but I can easily see how someone would go directly to 680. None of the definitions in 680 fit a sauna.

480sparky

In my opinion, 680 does not apply but then again, how is a sauna considered an appliance.

I can see the steam unit for the shower being called an appliance, no different than a hot water heater but the sauna is an enclosed unit that you go into. 422 may be the best application but I can easily see how someone would go directly to 680. None of the definitions in 680 fit a sauna.

How does 'going into' it not make it an appliance? IMPO, it fits the NEC definition.

Status
Not open for further replies.