Romex Commercial Building

Status
Not open for further replies.

EEC

In a retail store with office above, can romex be used in store? There will be dropped ceiling and drywall walls.

celtic

Re: Romex Commercial Building

334.12 Uses Not Permitted.
(A) Types NM, NMC, and NMS. Types NM, NMC, and NMS cables shall not be used as follows:
(1) As open runs in dropped or suspended ceilings in other than one- and two-family and multifamily dwellings.

fc

NEC 2005 Uses not permitted 334.12 (2) Exposed in dropped or suspended ceilings in other than one-and two-family and multifamily dwellings.

EEC

Code reads as long as romex does not enter dropped ceiling area it's permitted, that's my understanding from answers

celtic

Originally posted by EEC:
Code reads as long as romex does not enter dropped ceiling area it's permitted, that's my understanding from answers
Another thing to consider is local ordinances...I did a store in one county here in NJ, ALL wiring had to be in EMT, 6' whips of MC to fixtures(max. length)...at another store in different county, ALL BX/AC.

Check with your AHJ before submitting a bid.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Originally posted by celtic:
Another thing to consider is local ordinances...I did a store in one county here in NJ, ALL wiring had to be in EMT, 6' whips of MC to fixtures(max. length)...at another store in different county, ALL BX/AC.

Check with your AHJ before submitting a bid.
It is my understanding that local requirements are not legal in NJ. The state follows a uniform electrical code based on the NEC. Local and county requirements are unenforceable.

celtic

Originally posted by infinity:
It is my understanding that local requirements are not legal in NJ. The state follows a uniform electrical code based on the NEC. Local and county requirements are unenforceable.
It's been so long since I did retail work, it could very well have been a job spec.

Would that be the UCC you are referring to?
Thanks for the info.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Originally posted by celtic:
334.12 Uses Not Permitted.
(A) Types NM, NMC, and NMS. Types NM, NMC, and NMS cables shall not be used as follows:
(1) As open runs in dropped or suspended ceilings in other than one- and two-family and multifamily dwellings.
I wonder if NM-B is intentionally omitted from that list.

david

334.10 Uses Permitted.
Type NM, Type NMC, and Type NMS cables shall be permitted to be used in the following:

(3) Other structures permitted to be of Types III, IV, and V construction except as prohibited in 334.12. Cables shall be concealed within walls, floors, or ceilings that provide a thermal barrier of material that has at least a 15-minute finish rating as identified in listings of fire-rated assemblies.

NM Cable can only be used in a retail store concealed with walls, floors, or ceilings.

celtic

Originally posted by LarryFine:
I wonder if NM-B is intentionally omitted from that list.
If it is intentional - it is not by my hand.
I just searched the 2002 NECH and found 0 references to type NM-B.

EEC

What about fire code rated drop ceiling panels? Will these qualify the romex to be run in ceiling space above fire code rated drop ceiling panels.

celtic

What about fire code rated drop ceiling panels? Will these qualify the romex to be run in ceiling space above fire code rated drop ceiling panels.
From the 2002 NECH:
Revised for the 2002 Code, 334.12(A)(1) prohibits any nonmetallic sheathed cables installed as ?open runs? in the space above accessible hung ceilings. This change does not affect dwelling-type occupancies. Open runs of cable, as used in this requirement, may be defined as cables installed as ?open? or ?not protected? installations that remain accessible after construction.
So my answer would be:
No, fire rated ceiling panels do not qualify the romex to be run in ceiling space.

Status
Not open for further replies.