Installation limits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathusalum

I have had a discussion with a local contractor that feels that he can perform the following without an Electrical license.

1. He can mount outlet boxes and drill holes for wiring.
2. He can run telephone wires, doorbells, and LAN cableing
3. He can mount the breaker box as long as he doesn't run any wire.

Does anyone know if these facts are true or not?

Thanks!

celtic

They might be true...or they might be false....it all depends where you are located.

So where are you from?

amptech

I don't have a problem with any of the three you mentioned. I have let homeowners who wanted to invest some "sweat equity" nail up recept boxes where they wanted them as long as the spacing met code. As far as door bell, phone and data cables are concerned, my locale doesn't require a license or inspection for their installation.

Mathusalum

I'm located in the "Big Sky" MONTANA.

I really appreciate the responses. I haven't talked to an inspector on these issues, but I'm assuming that there wouldn't be a problem if the Contractor wanted to do these things.

The contractor is the brother to the home-owner, so the home-owner himself wouldn't be doing anything.

Jim W in Tampa

Most areas do not regulate phone or data wiring.As to mounting boxes you are doing part of the electrical install thow i dought anyone would care.Drilling holes could cause problems as he likely will not know how your routing the wires.

Any new electrical work in our jurisdiction requires a permit to be pulled. For other than low voltage work, a licensed electrical contractor registered with the County has to pull the permit. A new box, would require a permit...drilling holes I would venture to say anyone can do.

iwire

Staff member
Here in MA the installation of electrical equipment requires a license unless you are the homeowner.

This includes boxes, raceways, cables, conductors, fixtures devices etc.

allenwayne

Pierre C Belarge said:
Any new electrical work in our jurisdiction requires a permit to be pulled. For other than low voltage work, a licensed electrical contractor registered with the County has to pull the permit. A new box, would require a permit...drilling holes I would venture to say anyone can do.

Pierre what if there were boxes between the required spacing receptacle boxes that are installed and they have nothing was run to them.Would a permit be needed for them ???????? Just because they are electrical boxes. The whole idea of there being a problem with a HO nailing up the boxes is preposterous.I wish I could get each and every HO to install the boxes.OH my aching back after boxing a really big house :)

amptech

iwire said:
Here in MA the installation of electrical equipment requires a license unless you are the homeowner.

This includes boxes, raceways, cables, conductors, fixtures devices etc.

Bob, Does that include phone, data and TV cable in MA? Are they considered electrical equipment? I ask because I use the same NM boxes for all of those as well as receptacles/switches. They don't become "electrical equipment" unless I feed them with branch circuit wiring.

iwire

Staff member
amptech said:
Bob, Does that include phone, data and TV cable in MA?.

A good question and I really do not know the answer.

I am good to go with my license but I am not sure I need one for all the items you listed.

We do have another license for some type of LV work but I really do not know what it covers.

Jim W in Tampa

What he is doing is working as an electrician and if he got hurt it is questionable if his insurance would cover him.While nailing up boxes seems simple it still requires skill to set it at correct height and depth for drywall.Hole must be in center of 2x4 and no larger than 1 inch.I personally would not allow it.What will he think he can do next ?Run the wire but not connect ?I have had them mark out locations on the floor with crayons and then i will check to see if the numbers work out.What could you possably knock off the bill to makes this worth his time.

Status
Not open for further replies.