Lets Play Inspector

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember this is a holiday season, so lets be nice. :grin:

On the same job as the MC connector post, I also came across this installation in the subpanel.
Is this a permitted installation for MC cables into the enclosure?

IMG_4576.jpg

IMG_4577.jpg

Remember to try and look at this as an inspector would ( a good inspector ;)).[/B]

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

On the same job as the MC connector post, I also came across this installation in the subpanel.

Remember to try and look at this as an inspector would ( a good inspector ;)).

I am having trouble seeing the pic Pierre.:D

Hendrix

Remember to try and look at this as an inspector would ( a good inspector ;)).
OK I give up. Where is it?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
if it's mc, since no anti-short bushing is required, I guess the EC can tape anything he wants to.

tkb

Anti shorts are not required for MC but I always use them.
On larger sizes, If there are no large anti shorts available, I slide the jacket back and tape the wires and then slide the jacket back so the tape is in between the jacket and the wires.
Are the large cable fittings listed for MC or are they NM connectors?

Arlington now makes a MC fitting for larger size cables with multiple insulating inserts for various size cables.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
2 things
The duplex connector-- should the wires entering the panel be labeled as pairs? Can't tell if they are or not and what are the loose red conductors in the panel. They should be terminated or capped. I have no code references since I am not a good inspector and I got family yelling at me for typing.:D

mistermudd

Four things might question but maybe try to educate rather than write as corrections.

1) The AC or MC question regarding anti shorts, probably okay.
2) Incoming lugs rated for that small of wire, probably okay.
3) The load on the panel with the small wire feeding it, probably okay.
4) 2008 NEC 210.4(D) grouping of multiwire ckts in panelboards which I could not write because WA ST doesn't adopt the until 12/31/08.

quogueelectric

I got a little more I am not sure if the duplex connectors are listed for mc. There are uncapped wires which should either be removed or capped or at least taped which is the way they used to safe off loose wires in the powerhouse. The last but not least is the cables come in from behind the panel in a bundle of about 50 cables and that just aint right tell him he has to put all 4 amp breakers in the panel.

quogueelectric

One last thing. Those feeder wires look a little small for that monster breaker. Check the lugs are rated for wire that small and that the ampacity of the wire is right for that breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.