Not specifically electrical safety, but something to keep in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LD_baugh

Last night we had a guy working on a platform above a ceiling. He went to get off the platform onto the the lift and missed his step. He ended up falling 35 feet onto concrete. Some how he is alive. He broke both his heels, arm/elbow, hips, tail bone, and his back in more than one place. Docters said it's about 50/50 right now as far as being paralyzed. The guy is only 22 years old. Just a grim reminder to wear safety gear. if he was just harnessed to something. The other guys working said it happened in the blink of an eye, and there was nothing they could do to grab him. Just remember to take the extra step of caution, be it a pain in the butt or not.

mgd

i recall that alot of injuries in the electrical field are fall related more so than electrical injury, i.e. person on a ladder receives shock and falls. accidents are unfortunate! and if they are preventable....
i remember when i was younger and did carpentry/construction and the occasions when i took chances on pipe staging. instead of stepping down each rung i would get on the corner and slide down until the day i strained my forearms and had trouble making a fist for weeks. well that was the last time i did that. i hope the guy recover's!

Last edited:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I always tell contractors that are giving us trouble about handicapped access or parking or whatever, that in our trades that could be us in the blink of an eye.

Hope he recovers. Keep us posted.

LD_baugh

Good news. The doc says he'll be walking in four to six months. His spirits are way up. He's happy to be alive. No one is sure on what kind of long term problems will arise from all this though, whether pysical or mental. The three guys that saw it happen haven't been them selves, since. I went out to the mall where it happened and it about made me sick. There is just a hole broken through the ceiling and you could see where they had to clean up. But luckily he is doing better. Thank you for your concerne.

Luke

blue spark

Good to hear he's doing better! Somewhere I heard that most serious fall injuries happen off 6' ladders. That one shocked me.

Status
Not open for further replies.