lashing of service

Status
Not open for further replies.

troyalot

what are the lashing requirements for service entrance conductors ,line side of main fusing, where they enter a 60 inch "top hat" box on top of the gear. there is about 5-6 feet of conductor from the mouth of the pipes to the main lugs. I feel they need lashing to hold them under a fault condition, but is it required and what is common practice. there are 6 parallel runs of 600kcmil. 3phase 208/120.

troyalot

Re: lashing of service

has anyone built a service where the conductors needed lashing(securing). i know that typically the length is such that it is not necessary. however i have an unusual situation here. the service entrance(underground pvc) enters the basement at 12 feet above the floor and 6 feet above the lugs. so i have a factory "pull box" full of unfused service conductors hanging freely for 6 feet. any suggestions ?

pierre

314.28(B) Conductors in Pull or Junction Boxes.
In pull boxes or junction boxes having any dimension over 6 ft , all conductors shall be cabled or racked up in an approved manner.

Troy
I have seen the use of Kindorf with tywraps and rubber on the Kindorf used in the box to support the conductors, there are other means. I have also seen the use of fiberglass supports.

[ February 28, 2006, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: pierre ]

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

I have lashed conductors in an MCC and a CT can, both per the mfgs requirements.
The CT Can took about 200 ft of 1/2" nylon rope, sure looked nice when I was done.
For the HAT box check the instructions.
For the second question, I would ask whats the available fault current? The fault current is the basis for lashing.

stevearne

This is not an Instructor topic, so it is being moved to an NEC thread. Please feel free to continue your discussion there. :)

benaround

Troyalot,

I think you just need someone to tell you to do it.

Go get some rope and start doing what you gotta do!

Status
Not open for further replies.