MR Steam unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
I am working on a house where they added a 9KW "Mr. Steam" unit (very cool I wish I had one) I was wondering if using a 50 amp range cord and receptacle would be acceptable for a disconnect ? There is no comment on this in the installation instructions about it being hard wired just that it needs a disconnect.
(9,000W / 240V=37.5amp X1.25 =46.875 amp. Well with in the 50 amp limit)

normbac

I have wired numerous of these but I always hard wire to a disco which is a simple application why do you need the pig tail?

cadpoint

OK my first question of the new year, "What is it" ?

Never mind I found it on my favorite web search engine.
Ok my second question, which one? :roll:

I don't think it's as simple as you stated in you OP, I also beleive thats a typo in #2.

From this page here

Power Wiring
Check power voltage. Use 240V rated unit when supply is greater than 208V. (Most homes have 240V, 1PH service). Use 208V rated unit for 208V power.

Use minimum 90? C/300V rated insulated copper conductors only, sized in accordance with National Electrical Code and local electrical code for the Amps in Ampere Chart. If allowed by code, NM cable may require a larger wire size than as listed on the chart.

3. Connect suitably sized equipment grounding wire to ground terminal provided.

4. Install a separate circuit breaker between supply and unit. Provide a power supply disconnect within sight of the steam generator or one that is capable of being locked in the open position.

For single phase units, use two-wire supply source and equipment grounding wire. Neutral (white) wire is not required.

AMPERE CHART

I couldn't include chart as listed on web page ... (see link), I haven't played enough with PDF's and don't have a pdf editor.

All specifications shown are for 208V and 240V, single phase.
Consult factory for other voltage specifications.
†† See power wiring, note 2 above.

Provide a power supply disconnect within sight of the steam generator or one that is capable of being locked in the open position as permitted by code.

Last edited:

480sparky

I couldn't include chart as listed on web page ... (see link), I haven't played enough with PDF's and don't have a pdf editor.

Here ya go.

mrampchart.jpg

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
The unit says 9 KW on it @ 240 volt. So the reason for the pig tail and receptacle is simply a easy way to connect it in this application. I'm not worried about the rating of the plug because I know it is correct, I am wondering about the use of a plug being allowed or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.