Romex in PVC sleave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
hmspe said:
It says NM in the page quoted, but if you go to the chart showing acceptable cable compliments the chart doesn't show NM. Without a chart listing the sizes and number of NM cables that area approved I'm not convinced about the listing.

Martin
Perhaps this link will convince you. Also see note near bottom regarding catalog numbers.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
I was convinced before, but that listing put the icing on the cake. Sorry to any I offended with my doubting ways.

Mark

hillbilly

hmspe said:
It says NM in the page quoted, but if you go to the chart showing acceptable cable compliments the chart doesn't show NM. Without a chart listing the sizes and number of NM cables that area approved I'm not convinced about the listing.

Martin
That's my point too.
Would someone give a specific part number?
steve

mario

what were we talking about ...

what were we talking about ...

Rewire said:
We have been using a 24 inch pvc sleave into the panel to run our romex in.Now the inspector wants a calculation on how many romex cables can be put into it and be within the 60%. I can not find the cir mil area for romex 12/2 wG help.

would be nice to get back to the original subject .....

Bob NH

I saw one reference (can't find it now) that said that the area of non-circular cable is to be calculated by taking the largest dimension and using that as if it were a diameter of a circle. Thus, area = Pi x Width squared /4

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Bob,
Look at Chapter 9, Table 1, Note 9.
(9) A multiconductor cable of two or more conductors shall be treated as a single conductor for calculating percentage conduit fill area. For cables that have elliptical cross sections, the cross-sectional area calculation shall be based on using the major diameter of the ellipse as a circle diameter.
Don

Smart $

Esteemed Member
don_resqcapt19 said:
Bob,
Look at Chapter 9, Table 1, Note 9.
(9) A multiconductor cable of two or more conductors shall be treated as a single conductor for calculating percentage conduit fill area. For cables that have elliptical cross sections, the cross-sectional area calculation shall be based on using the major diameter of the ellipse as a circle diameter.

Don
If any panel members read this post, consider changing "elliptical" to "elongated". Multi-conductor, flat cables do not have an elliptical cross section. Perhaps something like:
(9) A multiconductor cable of two or more conductors shall be treated as a single conductor for calculating percentage conduit fill area. For cables that have elongated cross sections, the cross-sectional area calculation shall use a circular area which encompasses the elongated cross section.​

gndrod

Rewire,
Some AHJ's do not allow this practice on residential homeruns to the main or sub panels. Two reasons I remember are due to unsighted jacket damage due to fast pulling, and insulation degradation due to line and ambiant heat regardless of the 24" length exception. It only takes one breaker malfunction to cause peripheral cable damage and a nightmare of repair. Bundling of major runs limited to three cables or less is a good safety practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.