receptacles in locker tops

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperTone

I am quoting a job and this is it.

install 120v receptacle in the top portion of lockers for guys to be able to charge cell phones, charge electric shavers, etc in a locker room. (100 lockers). The top portion of these lockers have a locking door so the receptacle would be mounted in the back of the top locker portion.

Commercial building, all lockers are at least 10ft from any water source so i don't think any GFI protection is required.
I plan on putting 13 duplex receptacles on each 20amp circuit per 220.14 (I).

Does anything ring a bell for any requirements i may not be thinking of regarding this installation?

thanks for your input.

CopperTone

drop ceiling will have mc wire in the ceiling from the panel and transition to a metal jbox then to emt dropping down into 1 locker then emt between each receptacle metal box with a mulberry cover. The lockers are back to back in island formations.

these would be subject to less physical damage than a receptacle on a block wall in emt in a metal 4" sq with mulberry cover.

billdozier

here in fl we call it industrial raised Is it a nec code to use all 3 holes or is it local code? Of course one screw in the center doesent look quite professional

CopperTone

i mentioned 10ft from any water source because that is the closest distance any locker is to any sink or shower. That is the only relevance. I would think if a locker was right next to a sink it would have to be gfi protected as a hair dryer could be plugged in and fall in the sink. I wouldn't consider a locker room part of the bathroom because they don't contain a basin and any of the following : a toilet tub or shower.

the bathroom is right next to the locker room but is two different rooms, I wouldn't think the locker room would be considered a damp location.

I wouldn't think gfi protection would be required.

rexowner

Occupation
Electrician
I wouldn't think the locker room would be considered a damp location.
Every locker room I have ever been in has been
a damp location. If one wants to be legalistic about it,
the jury will definitely be convinced that it is a damp
location.

I wouldn't think gfi protection would be required.
Other than nuisance trips, I don't see any downside
to putting in GFCI protection. My personal opinion,
regardless of what can argue is required by code,
is that one should put in GFCI protection in a place
with concrete floors with a surfeit of bare-footed
occupants.

GUNNING

Yup gfci.

Yup gfci.

YUP .. GFCI.. I would also consider dropping the number of outlets per circuit. The use of implements like Hair blowers might cause problems. If this is a high and tight unit you might not need more than one circuit. But definitely GFCI and at each locker, not a breaker or protected by. Might fall under the auspices of being a restroom or bathroom setting.

CopperTone

I met with the "boss" of the job today and they asked for gfci protection. So it will get done regardless of if it is required.
receptacles are for cell phone chargers and hand held radio chargers - each one drawing .25 amps - If I put 13 receptacles on each 20amp circuit, and each receptacle is drawing .5amps then that is 6.5amps drawing per circuit.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If I put 13 receptacles on each 20amp circuit, and each receptacle is drawing .5amps then that is 6.5amps drawing per circuit.
If it were me, I'd put a complete bank of lockers on each circuit. (Okay, a MWBC if there are a lot of lockers in each bank.)

These are not general-purpose receptacles, and I don't see anyone plugging vacuum cleaners or floor buffers into them.

Status
Not open for further replies.