Concrete House

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been awarded a new contract for a concrete house.

The system is a poly steel company that uses foam, and the concrete is poured inside the foam block. The foam is used at the insulation AND the stud in which to put the drywall on. It's supposed to provide the ultimate in insulation (but don't ever look for an upgrade!)

Anyone work on this type of thing before? :-?

I talked to several "peers" and they told me my price was low.... funny, because I was the high bidder by nearly 30%. The homeowner said he felt like he could trust me... and I would not lower my number. (Still got the job) :grin:

I am curious on how to get my boxes in the insulation. I cut some back, and an 18cu in box stuck out 3/4". Then, how do I get them to stay? Hilti shot to a plastic box? :confused:

Thanks

SeanKelly

I have wired something similar to what your talking about. We didn't have a problem with the box depth so we could be talking something different. As far as mounting your boxes goes, they should have plastic "studs" every 16" to mount the sheetrock to. Just use face nailers/screwers where possible. If you location has to be precise and there is not stud, we used 4 squares with mudrings. Another thing we did was bought a 15" electric chainsaw to cut our channels in the foam. The width was perfect and we pushed our wires back in the foam as far as possible with nutdrivers. I am interested to hear how anyone else wired one of these. We had to call the inspector and go over all these ideas before we did anything. I'm sure there is a better way to do it but it worked well for us :D :D

frankft2000

I used metel 4 squares with brackets built on them, and mud rings. I'm not sure what others here will think about drilling or blasting holes through plastic boxes, UL listing?

cschmid

the type of construction is called ICF (Insulated concrete forms) becoming a real popular building concept..Hope you don't have to go through concrete form they are heavily re-bared if you are best time is when they are forming it up..hot knife I hear works good, cord less electric knife cuts the foam easy..I would use steel boxes...yet there are a variety of ways to wire it..my question is.. is any type of nm usable? where is the physical protection for it?

cschmid said:
now that is a system I can agree with...have you installed plasticlock before? and how spendy is it?
How about a combination of different systems?

Have you considered surface raceway along the floor level? You can install phone, data and cable service in the raceway. It is speedy. You can use the embedded wiring for the wall switches and ceiling fixtures.

celtic

cschmid said:
..I would use steel boxes...yet there are a variety of ways to wire it..my question is.. is any type of nm usable? where is the physical protection for it?

Uses not permitted:
334.12(A)(8) ~ Embedded in poured cement, concrete, or aggregate.
334.12(A)(10) ~ b. Where embedded in masonry, concrete, adobe, fill, or plaster
334.12(A)(10) ~ c. In a shallow chase in masonry, concrete, or adobe and covered with plaster, adobe, or similar finish
334.12(A)(10) ~ d. Where exposed or subject to excessive moisture or dampness (up for grabs?)

You might consider smurf tube....just watch the bends or you will be screwed later on the pulls.

Riograndeelectric

Greg I'm in Denver. I did a house just like this a couple of years ago in the Larkspur area. (Douglas County)

I used a carlon box with the side mount and crewd them to the plastic studs. Carlon#B1188upc . 18Cubic inches

I remember the plastic studs being on 8" centers.
we were able to use NMB and had no probelms on the inspestions . I cleard my wirng method with the head electrical inpsector prior to any work. we too used a electric chain saw to cut out the foam and insert boxes.

I can tell you the House was very labor intensive,

PM me if you would like further information.
Good luck keep us posted on how things are going

Status Report 9/27

Status Report 9/27

Well, the inside walls are still wood (whew!)
We got most of the upstairs roughed in.

I too used blue carlon 18 cu in boxes in the exterior walls.
We got some expansion foam that the manufacter sells that is like glue. It adheres the boxes to the walls.
However, some places are not friendly even to 18cuin boxes. So, I may need to try yet another route.

Someone else suggested a "hot knife." I rented one today. It is a blade that gets hot, and cuts through the foam in channels. 1 blade is wide enough for romex, another for 2" box, another for 4" box... you get the idea. Set the depth, pull the trigger, and it flies through the foam.

So, all in all, things went well. We did the upstairs to break us in to the foam work. Tomorrow, I'll have a guy starting on the main level. That'll be the tricky part

Cavie

Greg Swartz said:
Someone else suggested a "hot knife." I rented one today. It is a blade that gets hot, and cuts through the foam in channels. 1 blade is wide enough for romex, another for 2" box, another for 4" box... you get the idea. Set the depth, pull the trigger, and it flies through the foam.

Go to HD and buy an electric charcold lighter. Protection not nessessry if you stay away form the plastice they screw the drywall to.

Status
Not open for further replies.