NYC Tap requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

RS7645

I have a project I am helping with in NYC. The Electrical Inspector for the Fire Department (different then the Electrical Inspector for the City Electrical Wiring Division) is requiring that some new Stair Pressurization fans be powered by a switch ahead of the building main switch (per Reference Standard 5-18). The electrical contractor is saying that because the incoming service is greater then 2,800 amps, he has to submit a "copper detail" for approval on how he will connect to the main service bus - ahead of the Main.

(The power required for the fans is 100A. We will have to add a 100A ATS fed from a 100A FSS at the Switchboard)

I have ordered the NYC Amendments to the NEC 2005, which is their current standards. However, I don't know if it addressed there, or if our electrical contractor is trying charge us a few extra bucks. We have an Engineer's stamped drawing which does not detail this as he has said he did not know of the requirement to submit the detail - because it is over a 2,800 Amp Service.

Looking for any input on this issue........

Thanks,

Rocky Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.