what can be attached to conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericp

Can anyone help? In our plant facility there is mostly emt conduit. In some instances the electrical conduit is strapped to water pipes to support the conduit. In other cases it is strapped to air lines. I don't believe this is right. Should the water line or air line be removed the conduit would be unsupported. Also, now the company has taken to hanging machine numbers and department signs to the emt conduit. Is that right? The issue there is that if the sign ways to much it could damage the conduit and crush the wires or pull the conduit from the fittings and conductors. Where can I find answers to prove this in the NEC?

haskindm

The articles for each conduit system (such as 358 for EMT) require that conduits be "securely fastened". The AHJ would need to determine if hanging from another piping system meets that definition. 300.11(B) requires that raceways may only be used as support for other systems under certain circumstances and if they are "identified for the purpose". I have never seen a raceway system "identified" as being suitable as support for other systems.

Jim W in Tampa

I been taught never to use another trades item to support mine.The sign would depend on what we are talking about in weight.1/2 pund i dont think will hurt anything.Have had many data men tie wrap to my conduit.

ericp

What can be tied to conduit

What can be tied to conduit

That's the point. There is nobody controlling the weight of the signs. My goal is to establish that it just isn't done. One of the signs is a half sheet of plywood hanging off of 1/2 inch emt.

dlhoule

:twisted: My wife recently purchased a 3/16 sheet that was 2' x 4'. 1/2 of that doesn't seem too bad.
:) However on 1/2" emt, I wouldn't want anything hanging on it!!

muskiedog

Hanging off of other electrical

Hanging off of other electrical

National Electrical Code 300-11 Securing and Supporting (b) Raceways Used as Means of Support states: ? Raceways shall not be used as a means of support for other raceways, cables, or non-electrical equipment.? National Electrical Code 110.12

Status
Not open for further replies.