How to tackle alot of cut wires in a house

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappy

I looked at a job and in the attic vandels cut and stole a bunch of wires.Im thinking how to handle this job.Trace out the homeruns first and mark them.Then trace each cut wire to see what its connected to_Of course alot of j-boxes.It doesnt seem like a good idea to mount the j-boxes on the joists.Iwas thinking nail some 2x4s vertically so i can mount the j-box to it and so no one will step on them.Any suggestions?Thank you.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Iwas thinking nail some 2x4s vertically so i can mount the j-box to it and so no one will step on them.Any suggestions?Thank you.

This is a job I like to leave to someone else...:D, Seriously, I like the vertical 2x4 concept. I try to never install JB's in the floor because often times they will get insulation thrown over them and you would never find them. I do believe it is legal to mount the boxes to the side of the floor joist.

This is rarely an easy fix. The thing to do is have at it and hope the customer understands when you explained to them, how much this is going to cost them. Hopefully insurance will pay for it.

I also like the idea of the vertical 2x4s for support of the jboxes.

Ed Carr

Pierre,If the j-boxes were on the sides of the joist in
an area where you new they would be covered by insulation.
Would that be a violation?Accessible yes,findable maybe not.

Ed

480sparky

Why bother cutting, hauling up, and installing a special 2x4 up into an attic? Seems like you're doubling the amount of work to be done right there.

Every attic I've ever been in is a nightmarish web of framing. Can't stand up in some areas, can't bend over in others, solely because there's framing members in the way. Gotta crawl under, or climb over, something every 32". So with all those 2bys up there, can't you 'see the forest for the trees?".

Put your boxes on the existing framing. Even the underside of the roof rafters is legal!

zappy

A question

How do you get access to this "attic"?

steve
Threw the all the holes in the ceiling the vandals made!:rolleyes:This is a bad area.The house has plywood on the windows.I'm with you dennis i really don't want this job.Thats why i'm putting in a really high bid,and if i get it then it might be worth the HEADACHE.

growler

I looked at a job and in the attic vandels cut and stole a bunch of wires.Im thinking how to handle this job.Trace out the homeruns first and mark them.Then trace each cut wire to see what its connected to_Of course alot of j-boxes.Any suggestions?

Every job is different. If you have lots of wires cut in the same area then you may want to use a bigger can and make more splices in the same box. A four eleven box with extension rings also works well.

Any splices that are going to ceiling fixtures just remove the fixture and run new wire to that end, this cuts down on the number of junction boxes.

Get as much money as possible up front because many of these houses are being sold for pennies on the dollar at auctions and investors are just out for the fast buck. I wouldn't count on insurance unless you know for sure that the property is insured and that the insurance company is willing to pay. Many of these properties have changed owners so many times in the last few months it may get trickey. Look over the neighborhood and see if it's safe to leave the van parked out front.

peter d

Get as much money as possible up front because many of these houses are being sold for pennies on the dollar at auctions and investors are just out for the fast buck. Look over the neighborhood and see if it's safe to leave the van parked out front.

In my neck of the woods, a house that has been stripped of the copper generally has the following characteristics:

1) Bad area
2) Being sold at foreclosure for a fraction of the original cost or land value
3) Boarded up, utilities cut off, meaning any improvements will need a permit, inspection to get power restored, or a generator
4) The house may need a lot of clean up just to work in it

Any repair job like this would have to take all those factors into consideration, and charge accordingly $$$$$.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Threw the all the holes in the ceiling the vandals made!:rolleyes:This is a bad area.The house has plywood on the windows.I'm with you dennis i really don't want this job.Thats why i'm putting in a really high bid,and if i get it then it might be worth the HEADACHE.

make sure of two things.....

there is a written stipulation that any work you install, if *it* gets
stolen.... (thieves often come back for the "second harvest").... that it's
an additional charge...

truth is, i wouldn't do something like this on a hard bid. it would be
time and material.

if you are gonna bid it, how hard would it be just to do a complete
rewire? sometimes it's just easier to gut and redo... and if there are
all these holes in the ceiling *anyway*....... what's a few more?

randy

GUNNING

Rewire

Rewire

I agree. If your going to spend a bunch of time in the attic, might as well rewire and know where everything is going, that it is right, and make money on it too.

You have to ask yourself do you want the headache after the owner has gone? Do a rewire. Get ahead on the money before you start. Secure your backside first. Get theft assurances either via your or owners insurance.
Don'T go into this like you need it, go into this like they need you to do this right.

Status
Not open for further replies.