EMT STRAPING

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim W in Tampa

If you had 30 inches between two light fixtures would you be required to strap it if there is nothing to strap it to ?Does a connecter count as being within the 3 foot rule ?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree with rcarroll although in the past I've seen other opinions posted here. My feeling is that you can have up to 3' of unsupported conduit between the connector and the strap so less than 3' between two connectors is fine.

Jim W in Tampa

What i don't understand is i can have a coupler or even 5 couplers anywhere in a 10 foot span and its treated like it never was there.Yet it says within 3 feet of a box.If that connector is holding the pipe then why do we need to say within 3 feet ? Why not 10 feet if it was equal to a strap ? Is 1/8 of an inch not within 3 feet ? Does that connector not hold the pipe ?

Gmack

Banned
I would have to disagree with this whole idea as being NEC compliant.

A connector is not a "support". NEC requires "fastened" as a support.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Gmack said:
I would have to disagree with this whole idea as being NEC compliant.

A connector is not a "support". NEC requires "fastened" as a support.

Why would you need support on a piece of conduit less than 36"? The code already allows that piece of conduit to be unsupported by not requiring a strap within the first 36".

Gmack

Banned
Gentlemen, Im only saying that the "CODE" does not define a connector equal to/as or a support. "Securely fastened in place" is another "code" issue.

Maybe give some application where this makes more sense. Why 30 inches between fixtures/luminaries, back to back bends?

Why do that ?

Jim W in Tampa

Gmack said:
Gentlemen, Im only saying that the "CODE" does not define a connector equal to/as or a support. "Securely fastened in place" is another "code" issue.

Maybe give some application where this makes more sense. Why 30 inches between fixtures/luminaries, back to back bends?

Why do that ?
Warehouse i am doing has 8 foot flor strips mounted to perlins.Spacing between a few leaves me with about 30 inches and no perlin or anything to fasten to.They are 20 feet up and unlikely to ever be in harms way.Inspector will be out monday for wall inspection and i will ask him if he has an issue with this.Just seems that this is a very strong section with a connector on each end.All the others had a perlin in the middle to strap to_Only other choice would look ugly and stupid but i could put back to back 90's and go into fixtures from side.Looks are a big issue on this job.Will take picture monday if i remember my cam

Gmack

Banned
OK Jim, I see your situation, yes you could improvise many supports to meet code. But in your case, why bother. I agree. Point is "ground here"

Remember, a "good" AHJ will allow other methods that meet "intent".

Find one.

Gmack

Banned
Intent

Intent

Sometimes it so simple I miss it. Under an exception EMT cab be fished in unbroken lengths from termination to termination points in voids.

I would allow Jim's installation for the same reason here. Got to remember to use and apply one of the codes greatest tools available to an electrician or contractor. The exception.

Exceptions. Im sure a timid/legal minded AHJ would probably not see the intent as being met in this case, but I would.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Jim W in Tampa said:
This does bring up the question of lets say 2 inches of emt connecting 2 boxes.According to nec a strap is still needed ?

I say no way.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Trevor,
I say no way.
From a practical or common sense viewpoint I agree with you, however the code requires this nipple to be securly fastened.
(A) Securely Fastened EMT shall be securely fastened in place at least every 3 m (10 ft). In addition, each EMT run between termination points shall be securely fastened within 900 mm (3 ft) of each outlet box, junction box, device box, cabinet, conduit body, or other tubing termination.
Don

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
don_resqcapt19 said:
Trevor,
I say no way.
From a practical or common sense viewpoint I agree with you, however the code requires this nipple to be securly fastened.
(A) Securely Fastened EMT shall be securely fastened in place at least every 3 m (10 ft). In addition, each EMT run between termination points shall be securely fastened within 900 mm (3 ft) of each outlet box, junction box, device box, cabinet, conduit body, or other tubing termination.
Don

It is, by the connectors. Certainly if we can have 6' of MC cable supported by an MC connector, an EMT nipple would be supported by the connectors in a far superior fashion.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Trevor,
It is, by the connectors. Certainly if we can have 6' of MC cable supported by an MC connector, an EMT nipple would be supported by the connectors in a far superior fashion.
In general connectors are not considered to be raceway supports. There is a specific rule that lets the MC connector support a fixture whip. The code rule would have to be changed to let the EMT connector support the raceway. I think that someone has submitted a proposal for the 2008 code to address this issue.
330.30(C) ... (2) Is not more than 1.8 m (6 ft) in length from the last point of cable support to the point of connection to a luminaire (lighting fixture) or other piece of electrical equipment and the cable and point of connection are within an accessible ceiling. For the purpose of this section, Type MC cable fittings shall be permitted as a means of cable support.
The permission to use the connector as a support is very specific. Without such a permission a connector is not a raceway support.
Don

Gmack

Banned
The NEC does not define a nipple. Is a 2" piece of EMT a nipple? Or is a run of conduit?

Don't "nipples" come threaded in IMC or RMC. Lets not forget an "offset nipple" . All threaded.

I Don't ever recall strapping an offset nipple. Nor do I strap 4'' nipples between cabinets that come from an OEM.

Where is that required? Strapping/conduit hanger/minney for trade size nipples between cabinets or boxes. Don't quote 342 or 344 unless you site the word nipple. The NEC does quote nipples elsewhere, but where are they defined? I have an onboard NEC 2005 CD with a search and I cannot find what the NEC defines as a nipple. Let alone how or if to support it.

The mistake here is trying to make/think of a EMT "stub" with connectors the same as a nipple. Threaded it is not and it is not rigid.

Status
Not open for further replies.