Monday Photos (Spot the Violations)

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

Went to install a range circuit and recep today. Found some goodies when I opened the panel.

First.... what's a fella to do when all the neutral/ground terminals have been taken, and you want to find a 'home' for your bare ground wires from those 4 circuits you just ran?

DSC_2216a.jpg

DSC_2217a.jpg

DSC_2218a.jpg

DSC_2219a.jpg

Second, the NEC is going to recognize a new ungrounded conductor color : Iwitt.

DSC_2222a.jpg

(An acronym for It's What's In The Truck)

And Last, but Not Least:

DSC_2223a.jpg

Take a close look. I've only referred to some of the violations. See if you can find more.

In Know! I Know!

The Duplex Receptacle is not mounted with the Ground Prong in the "up" position! :D

Seriously now....
I counted at least 3 different brands of breakers in that panel.
I wonder if Square D lists thier breakers for a Bryant panel????

Just how much NM Sheathing does this electrician think he needs inside the panel?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am no hand at this type of challenge, but I have two questions.

First, in the top photo, why do I not see any EGC leaving the conduit on the right? Also, without seeing the panel as a whole, I cannot tell whether the green wire in the center conduit is an EGC or if it is the ungrounded conductor we see in photo #5.

Secondly, in the last photo, what is that screw and washer on the top-right breaker? Is this a normal way of securing a breaker into place, or is this a DIY improvisation?

480sparky

In Know! I Know!

The Duplex Receptacle is not mounted with the Ground Prong in the "up" position! :D

Seriously now....
I counted at least 3 different brands of breakers in that panel.
I wonder if Square D lists thier breakers for a Bryant panel????

Just how much NM Sheathing does this electrician think he needs inside the panel?

In this whole Bryant panel, I put the only Bryant breaker in it (besides the main!).

You only need 1/4" of sheath. More is still legal.

I am no hand at this type of challenge, but I have two questions.

First, in the top photo, why do I not see any EGC leaving the conduit on the right? Also, without seeing the panel as a whole, I cannot tell whether the green wire in the center conduit is an EGC or if it is the ungrounded conductor we see in photo #5.

Secondly, in the last photo, what is that screw and washer on the top-right breaker? Is this a normal way of securing a breaker into place, or is this a DIY improvisation?

That's not a green wire, Charlie... that's the Iwitt-colored wire.

And the screw in the top breaker is the required hold-down for the main. Factory original, I'm sure.

Ed Carr

Panel not labeled properly & how was the cover held on...
no wait let me guess.....sheetrock screws!
Also more than one grounded conductor under screw(unless approved by manuf.)

Last edited:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
That's not a green wire, Charlie... that's the Iwitt-colored wire.
That's what I suspected. So do I correctly infer that those two conduits do not contain EGCs? Are the conduits themselves serving as EGCs then? And if so, does the poor connection in the center conduit (looks like someone was careless when punching out the punch out thingy) create an unacceptable path for fault current?

480sparky

Panel not labeled properly & how was the cover held on...
no wait let me guess.....sheetrock screws!

No rocker screws.... had all four factory-supplied screws. Yes, panel is not labeled, but on the front of the door ( I never took a pix of it) was an 8?x11 computer printout of the circuit labels.

That's what I suspected. So do I correctly infer that those two conduits do not contain EGCs? Are the conduits themselves serving as EGCs then? And if so, does the poor connection in the center conduit (looks like someone was careless when punching out the punch out thingy) create an unacceptable path for fault current?

That's another..... no ECGs, so that conduit may be an accident waiting to happen. At least up to today. I tightened it down before I buttoned up the panel.

wbalsam1

I can't tell if the kitchen circuit (on a red-handled breaker) is protected at 15 or 20 amps. (can't remember if red is 15 or 20?) Kitchen circuits must have GFCI receptacles. Are there 2 kit. cir's? Can't tell. :-?:smile:

480sparky

I can't tell if the kitchen circuit (on a red-handled breaker) is protected at 15 or 20 amps. (can't remember if red is 15 or 20?) Kitchen circuits must have GFCI receptacles. Are there 2 kit. cir's? Can't tell. :-?:smile:

I never checked for two SABC, but reds are 20, 15s are blue. Whether there's GFIs installed when the kitchen gets finished is beyond my scope of work.

iaov

Great pics Ken. I especialy liked the EGC termination to the tabs. And here I've beem wasting money all thes years buying terminal blocks!:mad::grin:

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector

20amp:mad:red
15amp:-?blue
It looked to me that it may not be the correct cover or the guts were changed out, I say this because of the small hole in the center top and bottom of the cover, normally there would be a screw head there to adjust the depth of the breakers to the cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.