How to print

Status
Not open for further replies.

Occupation
Inspector
I have performed a search on this topic and could not find the answer I'm looking for. How does one print a topic? The new forum layout does not give this option.

Thanks

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I asked Joe (the Administrator/Webmaster) that question (along with several others), in an email message last month. This was his reply to the question about printing:

There isn't any printer friendly version. Most modern browsers will print the forum pages fine.

Occupation
Inspector
Thanks Charlie. I did print a topic and it printed just fine but it took a lot more paper because it prints as WYSIWYG, photos and all.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
lectriclee said:
Highlight the text, right click on it. Open word pad and paste it.
That will get you the text of one post at a time. It won't let you print the entire thread in one step.

We used to be able to print the text of every post in a given thread, without having any images or avatars printed with it. The new version of the Forum does not have that feature.

tx2step

Has this thread printing problem been solved yet?

The old software let you pull up a printer friendly version that included the entire thread.

I can't see how to do that with this software.

If a thread is 12 pages long, you have to print each page individually, and the layout is terrible. It eats up a lot of paper and ink!

I used to print out a lot of the threads for some of the field guys to read -- now I won't be nearly as likely to do that.

This is my one really big issue with the new software -- and it's a really big issue to me.

I hope someone has solved it???

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
tx2step said:
Has this thread printing problem been solved yet?
No, because it is not perceived as being a problem. But if you wish you may send a PM or an email to the webmaster, and tell him about your concern. At the very top of this page, just under the large text "Mike Holt's Code Forum," top line, right side, there is an icon for "Member Directory." Click that, and you will see that the webmaster is at the top of the list of members (imagine that!). You can PM or email Joe by clicking the appropriate button.

tx2step

Charlie - thanks for the information, though the answer sure wasn't what i wanted to hear.

I'll PM the webmaster tomorrow. Maybe there's some print utility that can be added or that I can use.

This issue bothers the heck out of me. I used that printer friendly feature all of the time to give really useful information to the guys in the field that don't have access to (or interest in) the internet.

I haven't been giving them anywhere near the same amount of information since this software was installed.

The number of pages needed to print a thread has at least tripled (along with the time and ink required) and the printout is much harder to read, to boot.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.