Arctic Temps in The Midwest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here I am, thinking about a stupid bonus when I have brothers who are north of the mason-dixon line not able to work due to the cold. How do you guys deal with weather like that? One cold snap down here and people start to panic. How does THHN/THWN react to weather like that, for instance if you have a wire setup outdoors to pull feeders indoors? Do you work in teams when you do outside work? I can elaborate about Texas summers, but I am very unfamiliar with temps that low.

480sparky

Here I am, thinking about a stupid bonus when I have brothers who are north of the mason-dixon line not able to work due to the cold. How do you guys deal with weather like that? One cold snap down here and people start to panic. How does THHN/THWN react to weather like that, for instance if you have a wire setup outdoors to pull feeders indoors? Do you work in teams when you do outside work? I can elaborate about Texas summers, but I am very unfamiliar with temps that low.

When there'e nothing between you and the North Pole, you dress in layers.
Insulation starts to crack when it gets cold & brittle. So simply have to reschedule, or run portable heaters.

Makes for selling back-up gennies easier!

Power Tech

I am just gald my father mooved to So. Cal. He tells me stories about chippint out pole holes and line work in Minn. Put the gloves on - get hands warm - taking them out working on a connection.

No thank you.

Be wishing for global warming!!

iaov

Its 16 degrees below zero right now and supposed to hit 24 below by midnight then warm up to a balmy 15 below by morning. This time of the year I try to not leave the house. I sit and cry a lot too.:mad:

Its 16 degrees below zero right now and supposed to hit 24 below by midnight then warm up to a balmy 15 below by morning. This time of the year I try to not leave the house. I sit and cry a lot too.:mad:

Whoa! Is that actual temperature, or wind chill? I believe I wouldn't be able to function either. That is true punishment. Damn...

480sparky

Whoa! Is that actual temperature, or wind chill? I believe I wouldn't be able to function either. That is true punishment. Damn...

Actual temps. Some places will have -50? windchills tonight.

currentwcs.jpg

Last edited:

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

i spent a year one december in fort payne, indiana.

waiting for one decent day's worth of weather, so i could flee south, down
highway 69. trying to pull a trailer loaded with work tools.

gave up, rented a store and lock, parked the trailer, came back for it
one year later.

that month, december 1999, they had three temperatures... 1, 0, and -1.
they added wind chill for flavor. it went to -45 with the wind chill and
lake effect.

to remind myself how good life is, and how bad it can be, i have fort wayne
on my iphone's weather app.... right next to huntington beach.

hb..... 65, right now.
fw..... 02, right now.

and on top of that, fort wayne had no mexican food. that's a real deal
breaker.

life is good. i think i will go out and stand on the front lawn, barefoot.
good for a gratitude attack.

iaov

Actual temps.I've been trying for years to convince my wife that I am a delicate tropical animal that should migrate in August. She alas, is heartless and refuses to send me money so I can over winter in a more pleasant enviroment. My near fatal PMS (Parked motorcycle syndrome) bothers her not in the least!!:smile:

Pullnwire

Occupation
Electrician, Business Owner, SME and Trade Instructor
life is good. i think i will go out and stand on the front lawn, barefoot.
good for a gratitude attack.

Randy,
Life is rough, I ate dinner under my patio cover tonight. It was perfect.... But I too think about our friends from the northeast, hopefully the way they think about us when we are on a roof in july.

bauler

Sorry guys. Have to rub it in. High 60s today, lows high 30s. Perfect weather. A week before Christmas we had nearly 2 ft of snow. Up here in the high desert you never know what you will get. Stay warm.

khixxx

below 16 or above 95 I don't roll out of bed. I call the shop cough cough yeah I'm sick today boss..... He asks if it's weather related. I say "absolutely not, I might be in tomorrow" click.

I just got back from the gym darn cold out boys. -3

dsandberg

Spent 4 years in Minot ND defending our freedom. There's not much you can do in that weather (-50+ with the wind chill). The biggest danger is snow snakes. They're completely white so they blend in. If you're not real careful, they'll sneak up behind you, crawl up your pant leg and freese your @$&# off. Seriously, the chamber of commerce had a mantra "Why Not Minot? Our answer "Freezen's the Reason"

Stay Warm

gardiner

Working outdoors in the extreme cold is close to an artform. You dress in layers (many of them sometimes) You tend to wear sunglasses alot because the sun off the snow really hurts after a while. If there is an extreme wind chill there are good possibilty of burns to your face. This year we went for most of December and up till a few days ago with temps ranging from -30 to - 45 C this would be equivlent to -22 F to minus 49 F And I'm one of the lucky ones north of here had it a lot worst and still does.
You also learn to keep your tape under your shirt so it doesn't free.
the biggest problem is usually terminating the wires copper tends to get brittle and breaks if you twist too much.

JacksonburgFarmer

Well....it was pretty DANG cold up on the 145' grain leg I was on this morning....at 5:25....Turnhead was stuck, bean dust had "frozen" and wouldnt allow the spoons to travel. (i know some of this foriegn language to some) Working up there wasnt bad....the climb up and down...not so much...it was 8 degrees on the ground and wind was about 15mph on the ground....up top....it was.....i dont know.......cottonpickin cold!!!!!! for lack of better words.........How to deal w/ it???? no money sittin at home!!!!:mad:

A friend of mine used to work his winter breaks as an apprentice ironworker in Pittsburg PA. Talked about long underwear, jeans, sweats, something that sounded like a loose wetsuit, and a jump suit. He'd wear a rubber face mask, too, for wind protection. Granted he was 20 stories up a building skeleton.

PMS- I like that. Both are parked right now since I'm not riding with a pinched nerve in my neck. Really hurts since it was over 70 right next to San Francisco bay on Monday and I was off.

Status
Not open for further replies.