430-22 (C) Wye-Start Delta-Run Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
430.22 (C) States "Wye-Start, Delta Run Motor: For a wye-start delta-run connected motor, the selection of the the branch circuit conductors on the line side of the controller shall be based on the highest of the full-load current rating shown on the nameplate. The selection of the branch-cirucuit conductors between the controller and the motor shall be based on 58% of the full load current.

I am assuming starter and controller in this context are the same definition. Thereby if the Nameplate Amperage on the motor is 540 amperes times 1.25 equals 675 Amperes so that 3 sets of 4/0 THHN conductors at 75 degree C limititation from terminal connections would provide 690 amperes on line side of controller and the load side connections from the controller would then be 392 amperes (58% of 675) and three sets of 1/0 THHN conductors from 75 degree C column would suffice providing 450 amperes of connection.

My assumuptions are the overload protection at the controller would be based on the 392 amperes via 430-32 at 1.15% for all other motors as well as the Overcurrent Device at the controller being rated using dual element fuses would be 175% over 392 at 686 amperes rounded to next common size of 700 or for a inverse time circuit breaker 1200 amperes. With the motor feeder to the contoller being rated at 675 amperes with fused protection on the feeder @ 175% with time delay fuses would be 1176 rounded up to 1200 Amperes.

I believe I'm on the right path with this one however if someone see's holes in my logic, please advise.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Steve

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
You are forgetting that on a Wye-Start Delta-Run motor, you will have 6 leads going from the starter to the motor. Each set of those 6 leads will need to be sized for 58% of the motor FLA ( x 1.25).

The OL relay is only in the 3 leads coming off of the main (1M) contactor, also sized for 58% of the motor nameplate FLA.

[img http://ecatalog.squared.com/catalog/174/html/sections/16/images/17416045.1.jpg]

Status
Not open for further replies.