SERVICE(S) FOR COMBINED TENEANT SPACES

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecockrell

I have a building with a 2000 Amp service for one tenant space and a 400 amp for the other tenant space. They want to combine the tenant space. The services are 850 feet apart. I suggested that we feed the 400 amp service from the 2000 amp service. The Architect thinks that we could put a 400 amp shunt trip on the 400 amp service with bold signs at each service and a pushbutton for the shunt trip at the 2000 amp service. I told the architect that we wanted no part of the shunt trip scenario. My concern is if the 2000 amp service is disconnected first then the shunt trip would not work. Am I wrong? Is there another solution that I do not see? He thinks I am wrong to want an Engineer to approve and stamp the shunt trip idea.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Re: SERVICE(S) FOR COMBINED TENEANT SPACES

ecockrell said:
I have a building with a 2000 Amp service for one tenant space and a 400 amp for the other tenant space. They want to combine the tenant space. The services are 850 feet apart. I suggested that we feed the 400 amp service from the 2000 amp service.
Do you know the connected load? Would a single 2000 amp service be sufficient?

The Architect thinks that we could put a 400 amp shunt trip on the 400 amp service with bold signs at each service and a pushbutton for the shunt trip at the 2000 amp service. I told the architect that we wanted no part of the shunt trip scenario. My concern is if the 2000 amp service is disconnected first then the shunt trip would not work. Am I wrong?
You could power the shunt-trip from the 400 amp service, so that it would shunt itself off, and do the same for the 2000 amp service. I would imagine this would be expensive, retrofitting the old equipment for this purpose, at that rating.

Is there another solution that I do not see? He thinks I am wrong to want an Engineer to approve and stamp the shunt trip idea.
An engineer's stamp is likely required by the local AHJ for this size of service(s).

I believe you could use both services independently. See 230.1(C)(1).

You'd just need to post signage according to 230.1(E).

IMO. :)

ecockrell

Thanks George. The Architect said that we need to have one service per tenant area in case of fire since it is one open area. The services are on opposite sides of the building. We are in Louisiana. Design and Build in the area is whatever the utility company will power up.

bob

I agree with George. 850 ft is too far to run a feeder. I would ask the inspector to approve a second service. If you received approval what size would the individual services be?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm imagvining the wire size a 400-amp run that long would require for acceptable voltage drop. :shock: Yikes!

benaround

Won't you still have two services even with a shunt arrangement,there

will be two meters,right?

A single tenant can still have two services and be code compliant by

using the proper signage!

Shunt or not, the signs will warn any Electrician working on the systems.

hardworkingstiff

Re: SERVICE(S) FOR COMBINED TENEANT SPACES

ecockrell said:
He thinks I am wrong to want an Engineer to approve and stamp the shunt trip idea.

You are wise, get the engineer. I personally don't like shunt trips, if you lose your control circuit, you lose control (it won't work).

Jim W in Tampa

I think your fixing something that aint broke.You are allowed 2 sevices under some conditions like a huge building.You may qualify for that exception.Ask the local ahj

Status
Not open for further replies.