120 Volt Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

frank_n

Tomorrow I'm looking at a job that has an old 60-amp service (120 volt) with fuse box. The customer wants to upgrade to 240 volt. I know I'll have to get a meter pan and meter from PSE&G, but how should I connect the new service until PSEG runs the 240 volts?

Frank N

bdarnell

Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'm not sure how you guys do it out there, but around here we would connect both phases to the 120 volt service drop. Obviously, you wouldn't be able to use your shiny new range until PSE&G comes to put in the triplex.

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Re: 120 Volt Service

frank_n said:
Tomorrow I'm looking at a job that has an old 60-amp service (120 volt) with fuse box. The customer wants to upgrade to 240 volt. I know I'll have to get a meter pan and meter from PSE&G, but how should I connect the new service until PSEG runs the 240 volts?

Frank N
Does POCO supply meter can? Around here it is customer owned. POCO stopped supplying them years ago.

electricmanscott

How do you know that there isn't 240 at the house (service drop) already? I have done a few of these through the years and there has always been 240 brought to the house with one leg just taped up.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Re: 120 Volt Service

frank_n said:

Frank N

Go to PSE&G and get a new meter pan for free. While you are there tell them that you need a meter converter to go from 240 to 120 volts. They will give you one for free also. This will allow you to complete the service and have it operational until PSE&G comes back to change out the meter.

dlhoule

electricmanscott said:
How do you know that there isn't 240 at the house (service drop) already? I have done a few of these through the years and there has always been 240 brought to the house with one leg just taped up.

Around here they used just an insulated wire with the carrier wire for Neutral. But most of these were 30 A services. Some of the fancier homes did have 60 A.

Status
Not open for further replies.