Hdpe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone here ever use HDPE ?

I am looking for specifications relating to electrical usage.

We are bidding a 700' run, and the main electrical inspector here has never heard of using this, however, the contractor we are talking to, actually use it for 2 of the larger ECs in town.

Thanks.

Cavie

Anyone here ever use HDPE ?

I am looking for specifications relating to electrical usage.

We are bidding a 700' run, and the main electrical inspector here has never heard of using this, however, the contractor we are talking to, actually use it for 2 of the larger ECs in town.

Thanks.

Highway street lights and Interstate High mast lighting. 120v, 240v, 480v systems. 2" HDPE sch 40. Also traffic controls and ITS fiber optic systems.

http://www.isco-pipe.com/

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Highway street lights and Interstate High mast lighting. 120v, 240v, 480v systems. 2" HDPE sch 40. Also traffic controls and ITS fiber optic systems.

http://www.isco-pipe.com/

it's normally hot fused for sewer and water supplies, if you did that for
electrical, wouldn't it leave a ridge inside the pipe? or are there solvent weld
couplings specifically for electrical?

i've never seen it used for electrical raceway, but i'm new.:)

Cavie

E-lok no glue couplings. Just slip on. Kinda like Chinese fingers. PVC couplings and heavy duty glue will also work. mostly use e-loks. they fit the HDPE and pvc hard pipe. takes a hammer to get them off.

Last edited:

Pullnwire

Occupation
Electrician, Business Owner, SME and Trade Instructor
I just ran 800' of 1" HDPE aerial duct on some telephone poles on a large property. It was for data/phone stuff but it can be used for power as well. I'm not sure of the code ref. though. It was nice to work with, pulled super easy, but was a little stiff this morning. A couple hours in the sun smoothed it out.

I was on that site before I posted, and again now. I just do not see anything specifying that there is any "electrical" use.

...i've never seen it used for electrical raceway, but i'm new.:)
I have never seen it used for electrical systems either, you old fart! :grin:

I just ran 800' of 1" HDPE aerial duct on some telephone poles on a large property. It was for data/phone stuff but it can be used for power as well. I'm not sure of the code ref. though. It was nice to work with, pulled super easy, but was a little stiff this morning. A couple hours in the sun smoothed it out.
I know it is used for tele / data all the time, but have never seen it used for 120/208 or 208Y/120 rather...

The contractor called the head electrical inspector, who asked for a spec sheet, which they promptly sent, and have not heard back from him. :mad:

I guess that I will have to wait until he says it's a go. Maybe I could print this post out, and show him another inspector says it's ok to use! :)

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I was on that site before I posted, and again now. I just do not see anything specifying that there is any "electrical" use.

I have never seen it used for electrical systems either, you old fart! :grin:

I know it is used for tele / data all the time, but have never seen it used for 120/208 or 208Y/120 rather...

The contractor called the head electrical inspector, who asked for a spec sheet, which they promptly sent, and have not heard back from him. :mad:

I guess that I will have to wait until he says it's a go. Maybe I could print this post out, and show him another inspector says it's ok to use! :)

sorry.... a note from your mommy isn't gonna cut it this time.

Take a look at Article 353.
Thank You
Try this one...

http://www.carlon.com/images/Homepage/Nov06/HDPE Listed_2F73.pdf
... The problem you might run into is if your ahj requires it to be listed (the NEC does require it to be listed).
Thank you for the link.

Just got off the phone with the head electrical inspector. Yes, it does need to be listed. They have never seen anything like this before.
None of the supply houses in town carry it.

That really sucks, because this stuff rocks. 1 continuous run. Pull string already in it. slick inside. hard outside.

The biggest benefit is that we would not have to trench 700' of asphault... and cause parking lot delays, and backfill, and compact it, and get it tested, and put new asphault back on...

I just don't get it. :confused: Maybe it's too new. :roll:

220/221

I have used it in horizontal boring situations. We used PVC elbows/couplings and secured them with shrink tube.

Cavie

Thank You

Thank you for the link.

Just got off the phone with the head electrical inspector. Yes, it does need to be listed. They have never seen anything like this before.
None of the supply houses in town carry it.

That really sucks, because this stuff rocks. 1 continuous run. Pull string already in it. slick inside. hard outside.

The biggest benefit is that we would not have to trench 700' of asphault... and cause parking lot delays, and backfill, and compact it, and get it tested, and put new asphault back on...

I just don't get it. :confused: Maybe it's too new. :roll:

Comes on 3000' and 4000' rolls. Next time you see a new road going in with street lights, stop and have a look. You'll see the reels sitting someware on the job site. Kinda hard to hide. Comes in colors too.

magicman76

We use it for ITS all the time usually 4 runs (1 Fiber, 2 spares and one for power) You could also order them with the wire already in it.

HDPE is standard practice of installation for our jurisdiction...required by the POCO.
It comes in rolls or in 10ft lengths. The couplings are a pain in the tush. Do not expect to make small sweeps. One can buy premade large sweeps, the come held closed with chains.
If you were to try and make too sharp of a sweep, the couplings will come apart.

One other item...HDPE is not permitted to be installed above grade.

Status
Not open for further replies.