Light Switch in Bathtub Surround

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronm

I've read NEC 404.4 and the definitions in NEC 100 for damp and wet locations, but still cannot decide if the NEC allows the installation of light switches within the surround of a bathtub that is not equipped with a shower head.

Can someone help me make sens of this?

Thanks,

Aaron

celtic

Switches shall not be installed within wet locations in tub or shower spaces unless installed as part of a listed tub or shower assembly.

Is the surround part of a "listed assembly"?

luckyshadow

I would classify the area as a wet location, thus the last sentence of 404.4 would apply.

"switches shall not be installed within wet locations in tub or shower spaces unless installed as part of a listed tub or shower assembly."

If the switch in question is not a factory part of the tub or shower I would say no it can not be placed there.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would classify the area as a wet location, thus the last sentence of 404.4 would apply.

"switches shall not be installed within wet locations in tub or shower spaces unless installed as part of a listed tub or shower assembly."

If the switch in question is not a factory part of the tub or shower I would say no it can not be placed there.

I ask you also where is the wet location of a tub. 5' over the tub-- 2" outside the tub?

480sparky

Wet location or not, 404.4 still prevents the installation unless it is listed.

aftershock

In my area I am not allowed to install a switch within reach of anyone while standing in the tub. I dont quite understand it since I am able to also install a receptacle outlet within reach of the same tub as long as it is not within the tub bounderies <sp>

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Wet location or not, 404.4 still prevents the installation unless it is listed.
Ken- I don't see it. It says within wet locations it must be listed. I will also tell you that I would never install one in that area but I don't see the words to support it. Platic switch, plastic plate-- I don't see the issue. I wouldn't do it because it looks funky

480sparky

Ken- I don't see it. It says within wet locations it must be listed. I will also tell you that I would never install one in that area but I don't see the words to support it. Platic switch, plastic plate-- I don't see the issue. I wouldn't do it because it looks funky

The words you are looking for are the last sentence of 404.4.

Put a switch in the area of a tub and then show me the listing.

iaov

I've seen them right next to the tub surround with in reach of the tub.I didn't like it but was never sure if it was a permitted install.

ivsenroute

How about this one?

Can everyone see it? Got it from another site that I think this OP is probably referring to.

10096d1232804133-light-switch-over-tub-elec-switch-over-tub.jpg

Of one has a tub enclosure without a spray nozzle/shower head, it is defined as a damp location. See the last sentence in 410.4(D).

With that stated, the last sentence in 404.4 ... "Switches shall not be installed within wet locations in tub or shower space..."

If the OP has a tub without a shower, I do not see the restriction of installing a wall switch in the "tub space."

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Of one has a tub enclosure without a spray nozzle/shower head, it is defined as a damp location. See the last sentence in 410.4(D).

With that stated, the last sentence in 404.4 ... "Switches shall not be installed within wet locations in tub or shower space..."

If the OP has a tub without a shower, I do not see the restriction of installing a wall switch in the "tub space."

As much as I agree with you it appears the NEC is mixing apples and oranges. It would appear the same rule should apply to both sections but there should be something in 404.4 that directs you to 410.10(D).

BTW I believe you have a typo-- you wrote 410.4(D) when I am sure you meant 410.10(D)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

I agree. It's seems highly logical to look at it that way.

As much as I agree with you it appears the NEC is mixing apples and oranges. It would appear the same rule should apply to both sections but there should be something in 404.4 that directs you to 410.10(D).

BTW I believe you have a typo-- you wrote 410.4(D) when I am sure you meant 410.10(D)

Dennis
Sometimes I am in the 2005 and sometimes in the 2008. :grin:

I cannot see how the NEC can call the shower space one thing in one section and another in a different section. How does it change for lighting and switches???
Not questioning you, but the NEC/CMPs/TCC

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Dennis
Sometimes I am in the 2005 and sometimes in the 2008. :grin:
I cannot see how the NEC can call the shower space one thing in one section and another in a different section. How does it change for lighting and switches???
Not questioning you, but the NEC/CMPs/TCC

It should not change I am just saying that you should not have to go searching in 410 to find info relating to switches in art. 404.

Art. 404.4 does not define the space nor does it refer you to 410.10. I think if it did we would not be having the disagreement with the others. I have stated I think it is a code compliant install but I believe it would benefit to have the reference to 410.10

Status
Not open for further replies.