glass dust/glass recycling plant

Status
Not open for further replies.

nysparky

I'm doing some work in a glass recycling plant(mainly grinding used windshields into glass beads for reflective road paint).a lot of fine glass dust is prevalent. I'm thinking of using emt with emt with raintight fittings. any thoughts or experiance for this type of environment?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I moved this thread in hopes it will get a better response in the general NEC forum.

Glass dust can indeed be dangerous, but it is not a "classic" hazarous location material.

I'm doing some work in a glass recycling plant(mainly grinding used windshields into glass beads for reflective road paint).a lot of fine glass dust is prevalent. I'm thinking of using emt with emt with raintight fittings. any thoughts or experiance for this type of environment?

I would guess that worker exposure danger would limit the glass dust so that it would no present a hazard to electrical equipment. I would be concerned about the abrasive qualities of it and what happens with the insulation when it gets inside the equipment...and it will.:roll:

benaround

What did they use in the area you will be working in ?

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Man, that sounds like something you definitely don't want to breath!!

Can you do your work when they're down? I'd be more than irritated if I had to wear a respirator to get my work done while they're running.

Lcdrwalker

The closest that I have come to this situation was a fiberglass plant. Everything was in GRC with NEMA4,12 equipment just to keep the flyings out as much as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.