temporary feeder cable, what type?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tfret

I need a temporary 60 amp service to run an experimenal machine in an industrial setting for about 6 months. The run will come from a 480VAC breaker panel and terminate in a 60 amp fused disconnect on the machine. The run is approximately 220' and will most likely be tye wrapped to roof stucture or sprinkler piping at the ceiling level. NEC 590 stipulates NM or NMC type cable for "hard usage". My local distributor is telling me tray cable with PVC jacket is adequate, although he can provide exposed run direct burial cable if I'm concerned. I just want to be safe and within code, but at the same time don't feel like this is a situation that requires over kill. Please share with me your thoughts.
Thank you.

iwire

Staff member
I would just run MC or EMT and be done with it.

But I would not plan on supporting any cable on sprinkler pipe.

By the way your 3 months to long to be considered 'temporary'

celtic

iwire said:
I would just run MC or EMT and be done with it.
I agree
iwire said:
But I would not plan on supporting any cable on sprinkler pipe.
I agree
iwire said:
By the way your 3 months to long to be considered 'temporary'
I disagree ~ 590.3(C) :
Emergencies and Tests. Temporary electrical power and lighting installations shall be permitted during emergencies and for tests, experiments, and developmental work.
590.3(B) has a time constraint.
(B) 90 Days.
Temporary electrical power and lighting installations shall be permitted for a period not to exceed 90 days for holiday decorative lighting and similar purposes.
The commentary following this article:
Note that the 90-day time limit in 527.3(B) applies only to temporary electrical installations associated with holiday displays. Construction and emergency and test temporary wiring installations are not bound by this time limit.

celtic

I worked on a railroad that shall remain nameless....they had TONS of "things" temped-out for years....some 15+ years.
My favorite "temp" application:
A pigtail socket...one leg to the bus, other to the load....with a glass fuse in where a lamp should be.
Can you say OMG?

BTW...99% of these "temp" installs would fall under 590.3(B). The other 1% had failed, broke, became damaged , etc.

Tfret

Thank guys for the prompt feed back. I feel like I need to head things off a bit here. Let me re-state my intentions. The install will be in place no more than 6 months. This is for the specific testing of machines that are being modified. They must be fully checked out before being returning to production. The project is scheduled to be complete by August, at which time I intend to remove this temporary feed. Secondly, while I am cost conscious and don't desire to spend more than necessary to be safe and within code, I certainly am not merely looking for the "cheap" way out. Personel safety and doing things properly is very important to me. Again thanks for your valued feed back. Really, what I'm after here is a recommendation on a cable type. Thanks again!

celtic

Tfret said:
Really, what I'm after here is a recommendation on a cable type. Thanks again!
Me, I would go with MC.
Durable, acceptable in most any location, relatively cheap ~ you might be able to use it elsewhere onsite or even at home ;) ...60A makes a nice sub-panel.

Your welcome

celtic

iwire said:
Did the NEC even apply?

Good question.

At one time, the NEC did NOT apply.
Then one day, the Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) began doing inspections. I can't answer any of the "W's" here. Some of what was there was no doubt "grandfathered", but all "new" work is now inspected.

Status
Not open for further replies.