Pics of panel rough-in

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Stick, neat work, but just out of curiousity, and in no particular order . . .

What are the connectors on the two 12-3's atop the taller panel, and the two 14-2's on the shorter one?

What's with the multiple nippling? Why not a single 2"? Just poor planing?

What about the feed-thru to the 3R enclosure on the far right?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
stickboy1375 said:
[This is at my house... and yes I know the carflex is missing a strap...:)

You know if you put a picture of your work up in this forum everyone is going to scrutinize it to death. SO......

My only question-- why a main breaker panel instead of a main lug panel? Seems like it is a sub panel since you have a 4 wire feed. Let me guess

The service is in the detached garage or you it was cheaper to buy the MB then the ML

stickboy1375

Dennis Alwon said:
You know if you put a picture of your work up in this forum everyone is going to scrutinize it to death. SO......

My only question-- why a main breaker panel instead of a main lug panel? Seems like it is a sub panel since you have a 4 wire feed. Let me guess

The service is in the detached garage or you it was cheaper to buy the MB then the ML

Good eyes, I was wondering if anyone would pick that up... I just perfer the main breaker since its my house, right now that panel is fed from the garage (attached) by a 100 amp breaker, but in the future I will remove the panel in the garage and install a meter with breaker, this is all to make way for future plans....

Last edited:

stickboy1375

LarryFine said:
Stick, neat work, but just out of curiousity, and in no particular order . . .

What are the connectors on the two 12-3's atop the taller panel, and the two 14-2's on the shorter one?

What's with the multiple nippling? Why not a single 2"? Just poor planing?

What about the feed-thru to the 3R enclosure on the far right?

The connectors are twin connectors made by Arlington? They are rated for what I did, I did the multiple nipples because I didnt have a long enough 2" nipple for the covers to work, and I also have alot more thhn to pull... the 3R enclosure is a transfer switch for the smaller panel, its actually cheaper for me to go that route... I dont know why a 3R cabinet would be cheaper...

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
Nice work Stick. :) :cool:

I was wondering a couple of things

1) Why does the carflex on the left bypass so much panel?

2) Was there a sale on Carlflex 90s?

I avoid 90s like the plague if I can.

But again Nice work :cool:

stickboy1375

Picture042.jpg

Heres a better view, that peice of carflex feeds the receptacles on the media box, but I dont like the way it came out either and am going to change it in the future....:roll:

DHkorn

Wow

Wow

I've worked exclusively with conduit, almost 35 yrs now. I never knew romex could look so nice.

I'm sorry to see how petty some of the comments are thou. Remember, critics are a dime a dozen. Those jobs are art work. Good job.

4x4

Here is one of ours. From a few years ago.

Dscn0770.jpg

I will take some of the next ones we do since I have a digital camera now.

jack horner

Banned
aline said:
I don't know who's work this is but it's the neatest romex job I've ever seen.
Anyone want to lay claim to this work?

NeatRomexJob1.jpg

NeatRomexJob2.jpg

NeatRomexJob3.jpg

NeatRomexJob4.jpg

My God! Doesn't anyone know how to install Conduit outside of PVC. Some EMT would have looked much better. I give props to the installer..... That is the nicest N-M cable I have ever seen.

peter d

In the "Awesome Romex Job" pictures, what exactly are we looking at? Lighting control panels? I'm guessing those are all the homeruns to the lighting outlets, and the others are simply the feeds from the panel board to the lighting cabinet.

iwire

Staff member
peter d said:
And what is really gained by using EMT?

(Runs for cover......) :D

You can duck behind me. ;)

I was wondering the same thing.

You would quickly run into derating issues, solutions would be a lot of smaller conduits or a few large conduits with some large copper for typical branch circuits.

IMO it would cost a significant amount more for EMT so the choice should be up to the person paying the bill.

iwire

Staff member
I should say though that with better equipment layout a lot of the jumpers from breaker panels to control panels could have been eliminated.

The control panels should be (IMO) close nippled to the associated breaker panel.

bstoin

I am sure the electricin(s) spent a LOT od time doing the romex art work. Makes for a nice conversation, but if they were my employees I'd probably get rid of them for taking days to complete a job that should only take a few hours with conduit.

Status
Not open for further replies.