nm in conduit in unfinished basement

Status
Not open for further replies.

realolman

If I put nm in conduit for physical protection down the cement block wall of an unfinished basement to a switch or receptacle, do I have to use compression box connectors or can I use set screw connectors?

Is there such a thing as nm-c or not?

mdshunk

realolman said:
If I put nm in conduit for physical protection down the cement block wall of an unfinished basement to a switch or receptacle, do I have to use compression box connectors or can I use set screw connectors?
Either one.

realolman said:
Is there such a thing as nm-c or not?
Kinda sorta. Some UF is dual labeled as NM-C.

stickboy1375

Either or, but I use these on top
c3_8600im.jpg

stickboy1375

Does that just slip over the emt? what holds it in place? pressure? probably alot cheaper than mine...:)

EDIT... I found them... they look pretty good have to give them a try.. thanks
4-pg--EMT-new.jpg

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
Not saying the Arlington's do not work fine but they are not (or where not) listed for line voltage use.

They are great for voice and data drops.

iwire

Staff member
ptonsparky said:
Guess I better start looking for a UL sticker on the 2x8 that NM cable just came through before it goes into the non voltage rated bushing.

There is no requirement for a UL listed 2 x 8 (yet ;) )

But check 358.6 (2002 NEC)

mdshunk

iwire said:
Not saying the Arlington's do not work fine but they are not (or where not) listed for line voltage use.

Think about this... the wiring method is "NM cable". The piece of EMT is "sleeving for protection" as referenced in Chapter 9, note 2. This "sleeving for protection" is optional in most cases, and wouldn't need to be an electrical raceway at all. It could be something built out of 2x4 lumber, which obviously wouldn't need to be UL listed either.

I did use the combination coupling in the earlier picture until an inspector actually gave me the tip to use the Arlington pipe bushings. I'm not saying he was right, but since "he told me so", I have an out for my inspections if I'm ever flagged for it. Plus, they only cost about a nickel.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
mdshunk said:
Think about this... the wiring method is "NM cable". The piece of EMT is "sleeving for protection" as referenced in Chapter 9, note 2. This "sleeving for protection" is optional in most cases, and wouldn't need to be an electrical raceway at all. It could be something built out of 2x4 lumber, which obviously wouldn't need to be UL listed either.

IMO that argument goes out the window once that raceway is attached to a box.

It is no longer a sleeve it is now a raceway.

JMO, and I don't think using the Arlington's are dangerous or criminal. :)

mdshunk

iwire said:
JMO, and I don't think using the Arlington's are dangerous or criminal. :)
So you're saying that it might be in improper use of a fitting that we could overlook? :wink:

I smell a code change proposal. George S, where are you? You're one for 10, or somthing like that. How many you got in for 2011 so far?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I've got a little list for the 2011, but I haven't been as good about keeping it updated for all the different discussions we've had going on for the past while. There's been a lot of good proposal material that's been overlooked. :)

The only violation I see is clamping to the box (314.17(B)) and the connector shown does not relieve that either. The plastic bushing from Arlington would be compliant with 300.15(C), IMO. I trust (without looking) that the bushing is listed for protection of low voltage cables, but NM is arguably a bit tougher than Cat-5 anyway, so that should not affect approval, IMO.

iwire said:
IMO that argument goes out the window once that raceway is attached to a box.

It is no longer a sleeve it is now a raceway.
What do you think of this read of 300.15(C):

A box or conduit body shall not be required where cables enter or exit from conduit or tubing that is used to provide cable support or protection against physical damage. A fitting shall be provided on the end(s) of the conduit or tubing to protect the cable from abrasion.

By "end(s)", does that mean that when the term is singular, the other end is a box? If so, then the cable would seem to maintain the "wiring method" status and the pipe would still be for physical protection. A thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.