GFCI Requirement for pool filter pumps in 2008 NEC

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI All. First time posting on this forum, so forgive me if I make any etiquette-related errors.

I am in the swimming pool products industry and have heard that there may be a requirement coming into the code which would require all pool/filter pumps to be GFCI protected. In my review of the 2008 Draft, nowhere in Article 680 do I find such a requirement for PERMANENTLY connected pumps. There is the addition of this requirement for cord-connected pumps in 680.31.

Does anyone know if GFCI's will be required for ALL pump circuits, whether they are cord-connected or permanently connected?

Looking forward to hearing back on this very soon.

HAVE A VERY HAPPY AND SAFE HOLIDAY SEASON AND A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR, ALL!!

bphgravity

• Section 688.22, Proposal 17-85 (Log #3493):
Panel Action: Reject
Vote: 8 Affirmative, 2 [NEMA, IBEW] Negative
Our Comment: The submitter (Alan Manche, Square D) proposed reinstating the 1999 NEC? requirement for GFCI protection on hard-wired single-phase pool pump motors, providing equivalent protection to cord-and-plug-connected pool pump motors. This Proposal, consistent with NEMA ROP and ROC positions in the 2005 Code cycle, was vigorously supported by NEMA and IBEW and vigorously opposed by the National Spa and Pool Institute [NSPI], Independent Electrical Contractors Inc [IECI] and IAEI. The opposition hinged upon absence of incidence statistics accompanying the Proposal, upon supporting evidence during one of the prior Code cycles incorrectly attributing a pool electrocution to a non-GFCI-protected hard-wired pool pump motor that in fact resulted from an ancillary cord-and-plug-connected appliance, and upon anecdotal statements of no known deaths attributable to non-GFCI-protected hard-wired pool pump motors. A CMP #17 Task Group comprised of Andrew Trotta (Principal — CPSC), Brian Rock (Principal — NEMA) and Gary Siggins (Alternate — UL) was assigned to review available CPSC data of Incidents of Deaths and Injuries (IDI) from 1989 (10 years before the 1999 NEC?) to determine if any incidents resulted from non-GFCI-protected hard-wired pool pump motors.

bphgravity said:
? Section 688.22, Proposal 17-85 (Log #3493):
Panel Action: Reject
Vote: 8 Affirmative, 2 [NEMA, IBEW] Negative
Our Comment: The submitter (Alan Manche, Square D) proposed reinstating the 1999 NEC? requirement for GFCI protection on hard-wired single-phase pool pump motors, providing equivalent protection to cord-and-plug-connected pool pump motors. This Proposal, consistent with NEMA ROP and ROC positions in the 2005 Code cycle, was vigorously supported by NEMA and IBEW and vigorously opposed by the National Spa and Pool Institute [NSPI], Independent Electrical Contractors Inc [IECI] and IAEI. The opposition hinged upon absence of incidence statistics accompanying the Proposal, upon supporting evidence during one of the prior Code cycles incorrectly attributing a pool electrocution to a non-GFCI-protected hard-wired pool pump motor that in fact resulted from an ancillary cord-and-plug-connected appliance, and upon anecdotal statements of no known deaths attributable to non-GFCI-protected hard-wired pool pump motors. A CMP #17 Task Group comprised of Andrew Trotta (Principal ? CPSC), Brian Rock (Principal ? NEMA) and Gary Siggins (Alternate ? UL) was assigned to review available CPSC data of Incidents of Deaths and Injuries (IDI) from 1989 (10 years before the 1999 NEC?) to determine if any incidents resulted from non-GFCI-protected hard-wired pool pump motors.

bphgravity: Thanks for the very prompt response to my question. The way I'm reading you response, GFCI proctection will NOT be a requirement for permanently connected pool/filter pumps since the panel voted to reject this proposal. Did I understand your response correctly?

dcspector

Wow Bryan,looks and sounds like a mortgage contract ie. reading all that. Bottom line is Manufacturers want this....Gee...wonder why? and EC's don't due to cost and bid's....Am I out there...or what?

Bryan:

Thanks for the reply. I responded before, but am not sure if the reply to your response went through; so, I'm trying again. Sorry, if this comes through to the forum twice.

Anyway, from your response I am understanding that the proposal to require GFCI protection on permanently connected (hard-wired) pool/filter pumps go rejected and the requirement will NOT be included in the 2008 NEC.

Did I understand you correctly? Please let me know if I'm off base.

Thanks!!

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
dcspector said:
Wow Bryan,looks and sounds like a mortgage contract ie. reading all that. Bottom line is Manufacturers want this....Gee...wonder why? and EC's don't due to cost and bid's....Am I out there...or what?

Greg,

for; GFCI manufacturers (NEMA) and union contractors (IBEW)

against; spa and pool manufacturers (NSPI), independent contractors (IECI) and inspectors (IAEI)

pool timers

pool timers

when wiring pool pumps and booster pumps is there a certain timer you have to use so that the every thing is running together its been 2 1/2 years since i did a in ground pool can some one refresh me on them

Status
Not open for further replies.