Electrical distributor

Status
Not open for further replies.

RIDGELY

I have a contractor asking that he has a disconect and he can open while its engerised in on postion . Is there any code concern ?
I cant find anthing in the code book referencing this .

480sparky

There's no Code concern that I'm aware of. Many disconnects have built-in safetys that prevent them from being opened when turned on.

OSHA, however, may view things differently.
GinSlutTest.gif

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is he opening the door on the disconnect switch while energized or opening the circuit? A disconnect switch is designed to open and close under load.

MarkyMarkNC

Many "general duty" 250V disconnects are open-able while in the "on" or "off" position. Most 600V "heavy duty" disconnects manufactured recently can only be opened in the "off" position.

I would think if there was a code issue with this, the manufacturers would be complying one way or another.

John Valdes

Occupation
Retired Electrician
I don't think I ever ran into a disco that could not be opened while in the on position. In addition I have never ran into one that cannot be turned off and on while the door is open.

When taking thermal images, panels must be open and hot.

neutral

I don't think I ever ran into a disco that could not be opened while in the on position. In addition I have never ran into one that cannot be turned off and on while the door is open.

When taking thermal images, panels must be open and hot.

disconnect can be opened while in the on position by inserting a small screwdriver blade and overriding the interlock. done it many times while trouble shooting. It is very dangerous to turn a disconnect off while the door is open under a load condition. I have seen doors blown off when the arc Ionized the air around the 3 blades shorting all 3 phases. when turning off a disconnet always stand to one side and never in front of it.

Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.