BRK smoke alarms

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireman3736

I've been installing BRK brand model 9120B smoke alarms for the past year, I replaced the ones in my house also back in September, every once in a while (every couple of days)I get a 1-2 second alarm that activates the alarm latching feature showing that it was the actual alarm that initiated and not just the battery beep you get when it gets week, I tried replacing the battery any ways and then replaced the alarm with new ones but still have the same problem. I just recently got a complaint from one of my customers that is having the same problem. My supplier said they called the mfg. and they said sometimes a dimmer or an arc-fault breaker on the same circuit as the alarm can cause this, with the code requiring all outlets in bed rooms ( my state all livable rooms) to have arc-fault protection I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if so if they have found a solution to correct this. My alarms are not on the same circuit as a dimmer or an arc-fault. :confused: Thanks Stan

allenwayne

Re: BRK smoke alarms

There have been quite a few discussions on smoke detectors.they are to me at least the most frustrating problems that can be encountered in a home .I`ve seen this prior to arc faults as well as after.A loose connection is usually the culprit or paint contamination on the splice will cause it.I have seen a home where all the smokes have been changed out twice and no good.I have had service replace all the 3 wire in this same house and still happens ,changed out the HR and that took care of it.I wish the service crew had kept the wire to see what could be found.Smokes are so sensitive that a minute surge or drop will set them off.Think about the homeowners that have to deal with smokes sounding in the middle of the night.I`ve had some choice words said to me over the years.Sometimes it`s a utility problem .I once found that the rough in guy when cutting in the panel used his cordless on the neutral bar set screws and had flattened the wire to a point of almost breaking it a slight snip and reattached problem gone.Like any other troubleshooting step by step is the only way to correct it.

electricmanscott

Some type of power interruption. I had the same issue. Turned out the smokes were fed from a circuit that also fed a deep freezer. When it kicked on it caused the same problem. I fed the smokes from a different circuit and problem was solved.
This seems to be an issue with that particular model. Maybe it's a real problem that BRK doesn't want to address.

electricmanscott

Cancel my last thought. I was just informed that the problem is back. I will be replacing the detectors with a different brand and NOT be using BRK again. This in conjunction with the defective BRK heat detector I have to replace at another house. :(

allenwayne

Hopefully that will be the end of it.Cross your fingers though we went from BRK to firex and still had to go further.Keep us abreast of what happens.

ramdiesel3500

I have BRK in my house. I have had occasions where these pesky little beetles get into the detector. They really like something about the detectors but I don't know why! Anyway, they crawl around on the circuit board until they short it out and throw it into alarm. So far, now that I know what causes it, I have been able to disassemble the alarm, remove the electrocuted bug, clean it, and reassemble with no further problems related to any singular incident!

Mike03a3

Originally posted by allenwayne:
Guess that gives a whole new meaning to GETTING THE BUGS OUT :D
Surely you know that is the original meaning. :D

While the term had been used by engineers (and even Edison) as early as the late 1800's, it wasn't until 1947 that the first bug was actually found. (The caption date of 1947 is incorrect.)
Photo of first actual bug found.

wireman3736

Thanks for all the info, I had firex in for about 10 years and when I decided to install a co/smoke with them I replaced them all with BRK, I have seen problems with a loose neutral sending them into alarm, I don't know of any appliances or electronic equipment 0n that circuit so maybe I'll check some connections and try putting them on another leg in the panel. I have a few firex left in the shop and there compatible with the BRK co/smoke so last resort I'll change the smokes to firex. It would be nice to know if there's a bigger problem before I continue installing them in customers houses, I remember having problems with the Firex also. Time will tell. :roll:

rickcham

Strange I am having similar problems on a service call . the alarms would go off with no cause, mostly at night time. the homeowner changes to Firex type no luck. I went to each box checking splices and anthing out of the ordinary. One thing I did find on the red lead I am reading anywhere from 60 to 90 VAC depending on what smoke I am at. I am thinking that somewhere I have a bad neutral but cannot isolate to box. I have been working on this for about 3 weeks. :confused:
My next try is to rewire all three floors back to the panel!!
Any other idea why I have the voltage on the signal wire??

ramdiesel3500

My only suggestion is to check every detector in the loop and make sure there are no electrocuted bugs on any of the circuit boards!!!! (I'm not kidding!!! Bugs are attracted to these units for some strange reason and they cause all kinds of problems!)

allenwayne

I would have to agree it does sound like an open neutral situation.If you are sure the circuit is solid then did you check at the panel or the meter ? Before I would R & R the wiring try swapping phases if that doesn`t correct the condition and you are sure the connections are not at fault,Then the only thing left to do is cut your losses and replace the interconnect and feed direct from the panel.I have gone through the same thing and when all else failed that has been the only way to correct.

physis

I keep running into problems with BRK's that seem to defy expaination. I've just started telling people that smoke alarm beeping anomalies are normal. It's ok, just leave me alone, I don't make them, call those guys, or something, do what Pheoby on Friends did.

peter d

Somewhat related....Firex is having huge problems with their now-discontinued CO/SD combo 7000 model. If you have a defective one, they will replace it free of charge with the new 12000 model. Out of one job that used 13 ot them, I've had 4 go bad allready, all replaced for free.

I wonder if BRK is handling the issue the same way? I don't know because I don't use BRK. Never have, never will.

Status
Not open for further replies.