Current Limiting MCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcorbin

Anyone know of a 2-pole (120/240V, single-phase, 3-wire system) molded-case circuit breaker that is rated 800 amps and current-limiting? Checking some shop drawings here and being told that no such animal exists.

coulter

I've not heard of any sush animal either.

The possible application boggles the mind. Just out of curiousity, what might be the need that couldn't be better served by a 3ph distribution with smaller local panels?

However, if I had to have such an animal, I'd be looking at 480V, 3ph stuff to see if it had a 240V rating.

Second choice is fused disconnects.

carl

bcorbin

Thanks, Terry.

By the way, the reason this service had to be single-phase is because it's in a renovation of a 160-year old building in a "historic" section of town. Let's just say the idea of adding three shiny, new pole-mounted (no space for pad-mount) transformers in front of the neighboring old victorians was um.....frowned upon. :rolleyes: We went with what we had available (single phase from a street behind the building).

coulter

bcorbin said:
... We went with what we had available ...
Ah yes - what was I thinking. The most common reason of all - cause that's what we got to work with. Good choice.

carl

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer

templdl

Is this current limiting breaker that has been found UL listed for series rating with the devices that are down stream? If it isn't then is is a code violation NEC art 240.86 Series Rating.
I would like to understand that there are no down stream devices because they would be considered otherwise and series rating is not an issue.

templdl

I would conclude that it is a moot point then. That's why I try to get the rest of the story. A CL breaker isn't going to gain you anything.
You may consider a current limiting reactor if you can justify the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.