Underground warning ribbon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dduffee260

I know that 300.5 (3) states that warning ribbon be placed for service conductors. Is there anywhere else in the code that states that warning ribbon be placed over branch circuit conduits, such as parking lot lights? We have a newbie inspector that wants warning ribbon everywhere under all conduits and I am going to have to argue the point that the warning ribbon is over what is covered in 300.5 (3)

raider1

Staff member
I am not aware of any NEC requirement for a warning ribbon to be installed over non-service conductors. Maybe there is a local requirement or a job spec.

Chris

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Agreed. It's not a bad idea, but not required. Ask for a code citation, if you don't want to put the ribbon in.

As a general practice, I do anyway - can't hurt. (Of course, I have no idea what the tape costs. :D )

mdshunk

georgestolz said:
As a general practice, I do anyway - can't hurt. (Of course, I have no idea what the tape costs. :D )
More than you might think, especially in the case of locatable ribbon. I like to sub out the underground conduit work when there's a good bit of it, and the sitework subs tend to put in ribbon on pretty much everything. I sure don't fault a guy if he wants to use some tape. I just don't go out of my way to do so when it's not required.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The answer is simple. If these are service conductors tape is required. For anything else no tape required. Tell the inspector to re-read the section you posted, he's not free to make up his own interpretation.

Status
Not open for further replies.