Code Questions that I need help on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbrick33

Can anyone help me out with any of these questions that were on the massachusetts electrical code test. This is all of the hard ones that I can not find any answers too. Thank you.

1. A ceiling fan that weighs 45 pounds shall be supported how?

2. A meter disconnect is a disconnect that my be required by the ?

3. How is current affected if voltage is doubled and the resistance is halved?

4. A lamp that has a filament and is enclosed in a glass bulb in a partial vacuum is called?

5. A grease pit at a service station that is un-vaporized is classed at what hazard location?

6. What size wire do you need to use when using 2 locknuts on ridged metal conduit?

7. Transformer windings are built on what?

8. The peak value of a sine wave is 141.44 volts. What is the RMS value?

9. What is the smallest motor size that you can use with out using any deductions?

10. How do you connect a meter to measure voltage drop?

11. Which type of raceway is made of PVC and is color coded according to the application?

12. A time delay switch is energized and 10 seconds pass before the contacts became energized this is a ______.

13. A hand bender will be used to bend a 90* stub-up in a piece of ?? IMC What is the deduct?

14. A DC power supply converts AC voltage to DC voltage using?

15. The minimum switch configuration for controlling a bell from one location is a ______?

16. What is the total capacitance of a circuit of 4 capacitors rated at 10 microfarads each wired in parallel with on another?

17. When using a 20 amp circuit breaker the receptacle should be good for how many amps?

18. When a maintenance person is going underground the cables shall be? Color coded, enclosed, 2? apart from one another ?

19. A circuit where all components are connected in tandem is called?

Last edited:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
If you cannot answer about 1/2 of these questions already, the JM that trained you should have his license lifted.

Are you sure you do not know the answer to question 7?

Some of the questions do not even make sense.

If you are looking for someone to give you the answers to the test questions, you came to the wrong place.

It may be possible to point you in the right direction, but no one will do the work for you. You should start by purchasing a copy of the NEC or the MA version of it and read it through to get a feel for it. Then use the index and table of contents to find answers to specific questions.

Last edited:

celtic

rbrick33 said:
This is all of the hard ones that I can not find any answers too.

36. Type NM cable must be supported how many feet?

You never even looked.

69boss302

If you need help on some of these, you need help on a lot of things. I try not to be rude but if you don't know the answer to how to use a meter and what happens to current when voltage or resistance changes. PLEASE don't take the test again. And if you do, and may even pass, stay away from electricity, because IT will KILL you.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
In addition to getting, and reading cover to cover, the National Electrical Code, it is clear that you need to find a copy of the Massachusetts laws that regulate electricians. That, too, must be read from beginning to end.

Also, and electrician's electrical theory text book (check out the local vocational training school library or bookstore) will teach you, if you read it, how to answer the theory questions.

Working as an apprentice will give you experience with the tools (I'm thinking of the deduction for the 90? conduit stub).

When you can answer the questions you've posted by yourself you will be ready for the test, but only if you do the work yourself.

celtic

rbrick33 said:
Today, 04:44 PM
roger said:
You're joking aren't you?

Roger
I do not believe this is a joke...

Last edited by rbrick33 : Today at 05:52 PM.
The original post had at least 36 questions in it. My post (5:26) referenced Q#7 - which has now changed.

This person is just trying to "beat the system" and not do any actual work/study to obtain their goal....

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Celtic, I see that now. Rbrick, this was not a code test. You need to invest in some training classes and books including the NEC.

Giving you the benefit of a doubt and not meaning to be demeaning, if these questions were over your head, you definitely do not have a clue and were not ready to take the test.

Roger

peter

Question #13 about the hand bender: My Ericksen bender uses a stub length of ~14".
I bet everyone else is thing "5"" but this is not necessarily true. The question is invalid.

#4 Incandescent? But bulbs are ofter filled with an inert gas.

#6 Two lock nuts on rigid? I think the maker of the test is the one having problems.

11. Which type of raceway is made of PVC and is color coded according to the application? Probably PVC itself. Gray is for electrical; white is for irrigation; orange is for fire sprinklers [same thing]; yellow is for natural gas; purple is for re-cycled water [again irrigation]; black seems to be for sewage [but it might be ABS].

17. Receptacles on 20 amp circuits should be rated 20 amp for a single receptacle but 15 amp ones will do if more than one in the circuit. NEC logis at work. But then you should use only up to 80% of capacity.

~Peter

peter

Picky. Picky.
I said "should", not "must". Why push things to their limits?

#19 Parralle circuit.

18. When a maintenance person is going underground the cables shall be? Color coded, enclosed, 2” apart from one another ? How about buried or covered with dirt? Enclosed with what, pray tell?

Let's get back to answering this fella's questions.

~Peter

celtic

peter said:
Picky. Picky.
I said "should", not "must". Why push things to their limits?
Because that's what we do around here :D

peter said:
Let's get back to answering this fella's questions.
Let's NOT.

A better decision would be to direct him to where he can actually find the answer to such profound inquires like:
A ceiling fan that weighs 45 pounds shall be supported how?

My answer:
From above, see 422.18

dlhoule

roger said:
Why is that Peter?

Roger

If you use up 100% you will run out. You won't have any left.
Just like if you spill 100% of the water in a glass, you won't have any left to drink. (well, maybe I should've said beer instead of water)

MAS2006

Look up the Websters def of tandem, I do not believe it supports your answer of parrallel,
2 : a group of two or more arranged one behind the other or used or acting
in conjunction
Example: 1 A tandem bicycle
2 A tandem horse carriage team
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Shockedby277v

"1. A ~ceiling fan~ that weighs 45 pounds shall be ~supported~ how?"

First place I would start is looking for key words. Then look into your index/table of contents in your code book.
If you need to do so on your test, underline them so you know what words you have looked for already. Many of your questions
your looking for can be found this way.

Was this a practice exam??

I am going to take my journeyman's exam in 2 weeks. I have found an abundant of information for free on this website, not to mention practice exams and quizzes. I also have bought 5 videos from this site. I give them 5 stars and their well worth the money I spent on them. I wish, I would have independently started studying sooner. I also suggest something on theory, as al hildenbrand stated.

Another great spot for information is these forums. Many of these guys have great knowledge of electrical, IMO more than most journeyman I actually work with. To those posters great job!! You know who you are.

As for the negative responses for the OP's questions, it's obvious this guy is in need of direction not ridicule.

Shockedby277v

Celtic pointed out originally there was 36 questions. Roger assumes, as I do, this isn't an actual journeyman's exam. I'm betting this is a practice exam or a final exam for a coarse. Tis the season. He's writing these questions as if he has the paper in front of him.

Where I work, they provide a program where ALL apprentices go to the SAME class. We've had practice exams where 6 month apprentices take this test.

Rbrick33 may be in the same boat, labeling this test as the actual exam. More information is definitely needed by him, in order to further assist him.

bphgravity

Is it possible someonw is applying for a job and this is the pre-hiring test provided by the employer. I have seen a few of these and they are about as silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.