article 230.28

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 1/4" ridgid mast 3' above roof, 6" from edge of roof. would you use guy wire for support or go with 2" ridgid mast? Inspector approved 1 1/4" ridgid with out guy wire, but said poco would not connect. Inspector said poco decision overruled the nec and/ AHJ.

Just looking for other point of view.

Thanks

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
POCO around here requires a minimum of 2" RMC for a service mast. A guy wire on a smaller conduit will not be accepted as a substitute for the incorrect conduit size.

bphgravity

Same here. The POCO authority which is usually Florida Power and Light provide specifications for these NEC/NESC crossover issues.

Here is link for anyone here in Florida not under a co-op. Click on "Electric Service Standards".

www.FPL.com/builder

article 230.28

seems to me that engineers would approve 1 1/4" ridgid with guys, because the code states that it must support the wait of the cable from the pole. I should point out that this is for a 100 amp overhead service and not 200 amp.

Last edited:

JohnE

N-grid here in MA requires 2 1/2" rigid mast. Probably N-Star too, but I'm not as familiar with their requirements.

M. D.

Yesterday I saw what looked to be a 2" rigid at least 6' above roof , no wire and it was connected , I'm not sure who made the connection but it is in essex county Ma., Nation Grid territory. I thought it should have had a guy wire.

M. D.

I have a copy of "Electrical services 2000 information and requirements" from National Grid. It calls for 2.5 rigid and it says that....

"1. customer is responsible for structural integrity of service mast .

2. Guy is required for service mast in excess of 1000 lbs or for increased mast height."
There is also a table ("Table of unguyed height") that describes two size service drops #4 - max load up to 1000 lbs - height 30" - max span 100 ft
#1/0 - max load up to 1000 lbs. - height 18" max span 100 ft.

So I would guess the P.Co. is going to drop a #4 and if that is the case then according to this a guy is required for a mast height of over 30"

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

bkludecke

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Out here in the So. Cal. mountains the poco requires 2" rigid minimum. But that's just the beginning. How the riser is installed, supported and strapped matters also. When working in a new area it is best to check with the local poco and ahj before you start or bid the job.

Bob

dlhoule

When working in a new area it is best to check with the local poco and ahj before you start or bid the job.

Bob, You said all that needs saying on this matter. There is such a wide variation between local communities AHJs and local POCOs that there is no clear cut way of doing mast for services.

Status
Not open for further replies.