Employer is in violation

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinware

We just had an outside A/V contractor install some projectors in some new meeting rooms and I have attached some pictures of what we got. When I seen what the contractor had done I mentioned 400.8(5) and 300.11(A) and 330.30(B) and I asked to have the box installed on a T-grid box hanger and bring the receptacle flush with the ceiling. My employer said that it looked better the way the contractor had it installed and not to worry about it. The contractor stated this is the way everyone installs them. Oh one more thing, the contractor also said he was an electrician and if we didn't like the way he installed the cord then code would allow him to cut the cord cap off and hard wire it to the box. Do you argue with management when management knows nothing about electrical work?? And I can't help but wonder why they would take the word of a contractor over an employee :confused:

Thanks for your opinion,

Kevin

Edit to add:
There are no pictures I am trying to add them now

[ February 22, 2006, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: kevinware ]

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: Employer is in violation

Its unsafe. I have seen installations of portable cord where the cord dries out and detiorates after ten years, less in a high temp area.
The NEC is very clear the cord has to be visible for its entire length.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Here is a graphic and comentary form Mike Holt that shows this, notice that hardwiring into a box is not legal either, I.E. there is no exception that would allow a flexible cord above a ceiling using the argument that "it is not utilizing a cord cap".

1019512720_2.gif

This subsection was revised to read:

Unless specifically permitted in 400.7, flexible cords and cables cannot be used for the following:
(1) As a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure
(2) Where run through holes in walls, structural ceilings, suspended ceilings, dropped ceilings, or floors
(3) Where run through doorways, windows, or similar openings
(4) Where attached to building surfaces
(5) Where concealed by walls, floors or ceilings, or located above suspended or dropped ceilings. Figure 400-2
(6) Where installed in raceways, except as otherwise permitted in this Code
Intent:

The change clarifies that flexible cords cannot be located above a suspended ceiling. However, wiring within a raised floor is permitted, because this space is not considered a concealed space.
Roger

[ February 22, 2006, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: roger ]

triphase

Under raised floors.......not concealed.....? Intent......What's the difference in the raised floor or above grid?

bdarnell

Occupation
Retired Engineer

Originally posted by triphase:
What's the difference in the raised floor or above grid?
Just a guess, Greg, but maybe the thought is that a raised floor is typically a data center and the cord won't be in place permanently.

Like I said, just a guess.

celtic

Under raised floors.......not concealed.....? Intent......What's the difference in the raised floor or above grid?
ummm..heat rises?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Although IMO it is loosely worded, the way I understand it, it is due to 645.5.

Roger

Brian M

As long as receptacle outlets are allowed above suspended & dropped ceilings, plugs & cords will eventually appear. I've worked on a few jobs requiring the installation of receptacles above suspended ceilings where the printnotes indicated that they would be used for equipment installed by others - CCTV's, projectors, etc.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Roger sorry....I meant Celtic on the "duh part" I do appologize. :eek:
No problem. ;)

Roger

Minuteman

I'm looking at my 2002, as my 20005 is at the office. But what about 400.7(8)?

The reason I ask is, I have done the same thing. I installed a receptacle ABOVE the suspended in a church, so the A/V guy could install a projector, as part of a remodel. Permitted and passed inspection.

I'm busted :( :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.