pulling wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

strawboss

It seems like everytime I go to pull wire, nobody can agree on wether to pull of the top or the bottom. What does everyone think? does anyone have any proof to support their ways? thanks

EBFD6

I think it depends if you're feeding wire up a conduit out the top of a panel, or down a conduit out the bottom of a panel.

I like to set up the wire so it comes of the roll in the direction you are feeding.

If you are feeding up a conduit, I find it easier to have the wire coming off the bottom of the reel so the wire comes off the reel and feeds right up the conduit smoothly with out having to change direction. The opposite for feeding wire down a conduit, have the wire come of the top and feed right down the conduit.

It is easier (IMO) for the person feeding the wire to not have to change direction or fight against the natural curve of the wire.

Of course this is only for larger wire, pulling #12 thhn, it really doesn't matter!

Rewire

On larger spools like 500kcml we pull over the top , we usually place one spool behind another and this allows the wire from the back spool to rest on the top of the front spool.

220/221

Don't forget the opposite direction theory that says, on 500' spools of 10,12 and 14 stranded, it will help to keep them from unraveling.

For big cable you have better leverage when they are coming off the top as you are working at waist level pulling slightly downward.

strawboss

thanks for the replies
I usually pull off the bottom because of the gravity idea, but many disagree

I am talking about larger wire, but ive never heard the opposite theory on smaller stranded wire... interesting

hardworkingstiff

Small wire I pull off the bottom. It seems to tangle less (after the 1st 50'-60' come off).

When I pull cable (portable power cable like type W) I pull off the top. The weight of the conductor coming off of the reel helps the reel turn, gravity is helping un-roll the wire.

ohmhead

Well bigg wire large spools we line them up in a row on spool truck . They roll off the top and down the pipes , we dont use people anymore to feed we use a greenlee wire feeder 99 % of the time now and two men on the feeding end with soap , and two men on the tugging end . we use a lull to move spools and set up pulls . It is fast saves time always let the weight of the spools flow in the direct you need to go meaning up to down or down to up set up wise . never mix up or down ever !! if ya pull all day like my crew everyday its all how you set up a pull that makes money or doesnt .take care

mkgrady

It depends on many factors. Distance of spools from the conduit entry is one. Whether you are pulling up a conduit or down matters too. I generally try to avoid an S curve in the feed. A C curve has one less bend and often results in an easier feed/pull

Mr.Sparkle

Don't forget the opposite direction theory that says, on 500' spools of 10,12 and 14 stranded, it will help to keep them from unraveling.

I am talking about larger wire, but ive never heard the opposite theory on smaller stranded wire... interesting

I learned this when I was just a helper and still have the majority of people look at me like a deer in headlights when I tell them they should set up the spools like this, they never want to try it, it works.

220/221

Put the reels next to each other in opposite directions and they will rub against each other keeping them from unspooling due to momentum.

Status
Not open for further replies.