Automobile Showrooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkey

If I understand 511-2 correctly, an automobile showroom, defined as a garage in article 100, is not a classified area, since it is used for parking and storage of vehicles where no repair work is done requiring the use of electrical equipment, open flame, welding, or the use of volatile flammable liquids.

Am I correct in assuming receptacles can be located at any elevation, and the showroom itself can actually be wired with Romex?

kevinware

Monkey,

The issue I am seeing is in the ceiling. I can't find an article that specifly states that romex "shall not" be used in a showroom. But what I do see is 334.12(A)(2).....(NEC 2005)

"Types NM, NMC, and NMS cables shall not be permitted as follows:

(2) Exposed in dropped or suspended ceilings in other than one- and two- family and multifamily dwellings." So I ask, will there be a drop ceiling? I have not seen a showroom without one. And to get even deeper, will this drop ceiling be used as air handling space? (300.22). I will say I am not experienced at wiring new car showrooms and I hope to be corrected where needed but just looking at the two articles mention I believe installing MC cable will save you a lot of headache. That is just the opinion of this apprentice lets see what others with more experience say.

Kevin

Last edited:

monkey

Thank's Kevin, This will be a showroom for used collectable cars. The owner plans to have a sheetrock ceiling, no tiles. He want's recessed cans for display lighting. Of couse he thought the 8 inch metal halide cans he saw at a new car dealership could probably be bought for ten to fifteen dollars each! So you can see he doesn't want to spend a lot, plus he doesn't have a clue.

He wants cheap cheap but I had already considered using MC anyway, it just seems wrong to use Romex in this application. I just wanted to have the facts. I called our AHJ and he thought Romex would be ok as long as there was not a classified area involved, but he was not real difinitive in his answers.

Maybe I should move this thread to the Classified Areas Forum, altho it doesn't seem like we have one here.

Thanks again for your reply...................Brian

kevinware

Brian,

I agree with you. This should not be a classified area. And I agree with your AHJ Romex should be ok in the dry location. Are there metal studs being used? I like MC cable with metal studs. I know code allows Romex to be used as long as there is a bushing installed but I guess I am just a fan of MC. Just putting this out there and I am sure you have already thought of it. If the owner is as cheap as he sounds. I would keep an eye on him and make sure he didn't buy some bragin basement light fixtures that can't be exchanged. Watch the "IC" rating (410.66).

Thanks,
Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.