Strapping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hendrix

When wiring a building, would it be just in requiring 2X4 strapping if wires were to be run perpendicular to joists to meet the 1 1/4" rule? In ceilings, it's done all the time with just 3/4" strapping. How about walls? :-?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
(D) Cables and Raceways Parallel to Framing Members and Furring Strips. In both exposed and concealed locations, where a cable- or raceway-type wiring method is installed parallel to framing members, such as joists, rafters, or studs, or is installed parallel to furring strips, the cable or raceway shall be installed and supported so that the nearest outside surface of the cable or raceway is not less than 32 mm (1? in.) from the nearest edge of the framing member or furring strips where nails or screws are likely to penetrate

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Thanks Gus, but (D) what???? And, are nails or screws likley to penetrate in-between the strapping??

sorry..assumed more code familiarity 300.4(d) NEC

if they strike,sure, just less likely to be placed there.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
sorry... but profile: "28 years as a contractor, now an inspector" lead me down the wrong road. I normally post the section #, but failed to this tiem. Lesson learned.

electricmanscott

When wiring a building, would it be just in requiring 2X4 strapping if wires were to be run perpendicular to joists to meet the 1 1/4" rule? In ceilings, it's done all the time with just 3/4" strapping. How about walls? :-?

Which rule are you talking about?

The 1-1/4" (3/4" in Mass) would apply to the cable run next to the strapping in this case. You would need to be 1-1/4" from the strapping.

How would a 2x4 make this any different? :-?

peter d

How would a 2x4 make this any different? :-?

I don't know either. Furring is furring...and no matter what kind it is, we need to keep cables 1 1/4" away from them. Seems pretty simple to me.

(Unless you live in Massachusetts where you can run over them diagonally. What the heck? :-?)

cycotcskir

I think the question about 2x4 strapping was intended by the OP to refer to the depth away from the plane created accross the bottom of the strapping.

It is not needed. 1 1/4" side to side is all that is needed (as already stated)

electricmanscott

KMA arrogant guinesses.

That is pretty dang funny. :grin:

lgpp30181+lovely-day-for-a-guinness-guinness-poster.jpg

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
KMA arrogant guinesses.[/quote
Hendrix, It is not my intention to be arrogant, and if you preceived it that way, so be it.
I think your question was valid. I often find myself questioning tasks I perform daily, oftimes, because I falied to recheck my Code references.
My answer was simply to remind you of what the NEC says and underline that portion which might refresh your memory of what I felt was the correct answer.
As stated, I normally give Section references when quoting, but failed to do so this time.
It may be that your inspection duties don't extend to physical damage to cables and raceways. Most inspectors face this daily in our inspection duty and thus 300.4 becomes 2nd nature, although, I could not quote the exact details without referencing which is why I did so.
I was just a bit suprised that a season-experienced inspector didn't recognize a Section most of us use so often.

Status
Not open for further replies.