Flouresent Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

boater bill

If these CF failures are as common as described here, you guys in California are going to have a great time when they outlaw incandescent lamps and require only energy efficient flourescents.
I think its called the 18 second law or something equally boring.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
NC Electricians Beware

NC Electricians Beware

boater bill said:
If these CF failures are as common as described here, you guys in California are going to have a great time when they outlaw incandescent lamps .

Possibly NC also.:mad:

I just read an editorial today in the News and Observer (Raleigh, NC)

A bill in the General Assembly-- House Bill 838 -- "An act to prohibit the sale of general service incandescent lamps in the state."

peteo

Saw an article on lightsearch, hope they don't mind my quote

"Posted March 5, 2007
Australia and Europe to ban incandescent bulb, while California, Connecticut, New Zealand, Ontario and Nova Scotia are considering it."

http://www.lightsearch.com/lightnow/lightnow_news/0307/0307_incandescents.htm

The Cal bill, 'how many legislators does it take...' was sponsored by my local assembly person. He's been on the radio saying how he doesn't mind the color.

vramp7

al hildenbrand said:
vramp,

Did the paddlefan have any dimming setting on the lamp pull chain (if there was a pull chain), or was the wall switch a multi-control that talked to dimming electronics in the paddlefan, or was the switch for the lamps, in any way, a dimmer?

At this time very few CFLs are rated for dimming, at all. There are some, but few. Most consumers don't know this, or give it a concern when purchasing the CFL.

The CFL electronic ballast can fail, destructively, depending upon the interaction of the particular ballast and particular dimmer actually present.
No the fan didnt have a dimmer, just a regular toggle switch on the wall. the light has a pull chain. The light bulb that smoked was 1 of 4. the other 3 had signs of burning marks also

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Won't that be wonderful , no incandescent lamps. How rediculous. I can just see it now.
" Us Customs officers arrest two for smuglling light bulbs " Agents say they hear a rattling comming from the tires when they drove into the checkpoint. "

"Drug trafficers change crop" 100 pallets of light bulbs siezed destined for Beverly Hills.

LawnGuyLandSparky

Sierrasparky said:
Won't that be wonderful , no incandescent lamps. How rediculous. I can just see it now.
" Us Customs officers arrest two for smuglling light bulbs " Agents say they hear a rattling comming from the tires when they drove into the checkpoint. "

"Drug trafficers change crop" 100 pallets of light bulbs siezed destined for Beverly Hills.

"In other news tonight, George Bush announces the kick-off of his 100-billion dollar "War Against Incandescent bulbs" which congress approved by a vote of 120-240.
icon10.gif

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Sierrasparky said:

don't laugh. it is not all that rare for people to get stopped at the Canadian border for trying to bring back a real toilet that will actually flush and not clog.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
vramp7 said:
The light bulb that smoked was 1 of 4. the other 3 had signs of burning marks also

Again , I have said this before but no one seems to think much of it but I will say it again. CFL's, in general ,have not been listed to go in just any fixture. I would not put them in an enclosed fixture unless the fixture is specifically listed for this type of bulb.

Some Cfl's are also position sensitive, i.e. they may only be safe if they are facing down.

There is so much to learn about these things and the public needs to get educated.

JohnJ0906

I wonder if these folks have thought this all the way through. Outlaw the only lamps that can be used in some fixtures. Hmm...
Thats it! Since the only lamps you can use in certain fixtures are illegal, you can't use the fixture at all, thus saving power! Brilliant!!

:grin:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Yea that's it.

or we'll waste time,money and energy replacing that recessed light to accept the CFL
Thus adding to the net Carbon footprint of that light

loren

Dimmers are good for smoking these types of bulbs. If it is an older dimmer with the scr instead of a transistor it will take them out even if the dimmer is kept in the high possition.
Loren

Status
Not open for further replies.