Wireless interconnect smoke alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnJ0906

Does anyone here have any experience with residential smoke alarms w/ wireless interconnect?

If so, do you have a brand you can recommend?

I beleive first alert and kiddie have units that are wireless. I just bid one out before I had to move. It was a little less than having to install conduit, wire, and detectors. A lot less man hours but more expansive by twice as much.

One more thing, if your installing them in a inspectable building get a hold of your inspector and ask them if they accept them. UL 268 and theres another one I had to look for

the system I was going to install had something like 62,000 different frequencies it would work at. The first one is hard wired then after that they all run on frequency. So how I understood it is you install the whole system before you ever turn on the power to the hard wired one. After you turn on power theres like a boot up time it searches for all the frequency ones to set that frequency. So you could actually do a duplex with the same system and they will not mess each other up according to the salesman.

crazyboy

I've used the Kiddie wireless interconnected smokes in a retrofit where it would've been impossible to fish between the floors. They worked as if they were hard wired in.

smo

I have used the Kidde wireless as well. They have DIP switches that you set the same for all alarms in the house, which helps prevent interference from other devices or other alarms at neighbors homes, etc.

I was impressed with them. I installed 14 of them in a large home just a couple of weeks ago, and they are working great. No complaints. (Yeah, 14 in a house...the owner is VERY paranoid. He has a smoke alarm in EVERY room of the house, not just the required locations.)

I have never tried the other brands, however.

jimport

Occupation
Master Electrician
John,

If you are thinking about installing these in Baltimore County check with Vince. He told me awhile ago that they are not accepted under MD or Baltimore County laws.

JohnJ0906

John,

If you are thinking about installing these in Baltimore County check with Vince. He told me awhile ago that they are not accepted under MD or Baltimore County laws.

I saw official paperwork from the building dept. that these are allowed in rental units. (Balto. co)

I have used the Kidde wireless as well. They have DIP switches that you set the same for all alarms in the house, which helps prevent interference from other devices or other alarms at neighbors homes, etc.

I was impressed with them. I installed 14 of them in a large home just a couple of weeks ago, and they are working great. No complaints. (Yeah, 14 in a house...the owner is VERY paranoid. He has a smoke alarm in EVERY room of the house, not just the required locations.)

I have never tried the other brands, however.

thats how I do it in new homes any ways, one in every bedroom, hallway(CO/SMOKES) living rm, dens, every where but kitchens and bathrooms

Status
Not open for further replies.