Weatherhead1.jpg

Weatherhead1b.jpg

Violation or not?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
violation 230.54(C)
dryer vent would cause some concern in regard to ambient. My guess would be violation 310.15B/16

CopperTone

Yes. POA is above weatherhead. 230.54(C)
the exception under 230.54 (C) may make it ok - although I can't see how it would have been impractical to locate the service head above the point of attachment unless it now violated the 3ft rule from the next window above.

The reality probably is that the service was there before the drop from the street was installed so it really was the power company that created the violation. If I was changing the service I would get as close to practical without violating any other codes.

not a violation of 230.9(A) see the Exception below it

480sparky

the exception under 230.54 (C) may make it ok - although I can't see how it would have been impractical to locate the service head above the point of attachment unless it now violated the 3ft rule from the next window above.

The reality probably is that the service was there before the drop from the street was installed so it really was the power company that created the violation. If I was changing the service I would get as close to practical without violating any other codes.

not a violation of 230.9(A) see the Exception below it

Another 24" or so of riser would have prevented the violation entirely.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If poco puts in the POA after I am done, as they do here then I don't see 230.54(C) coming into play.

Forget about the dryer vent.

Volta

When?

When?

How old is it? The POA clause started in '68. Previously, only the conductor connections were referenced. 1965:230-51.
Can't see if the splices are over or under the head.

The attachment has been required to be "approved" longer though. 1940:2326. Earlier still almost required approval.

Status
Not open for further replies.