Receptacle "ears"

Status
Not open for further replies.

kqresq

I know I usually come up with arcane, weird questions, but at least I will leave out the long, silly details on this one...
Are there ANY requirements or restrictions ANYWHERE that regulate when the break-off ears of a duplex receptacle are used or removed?
I know they are normally removed when the receptacle is mounted to a cut-in box or under an industrial cover, but is this required?
They are usually left on when mounted over drywall to a plaster ring, but is it required?
I know I can require proper alignment of the receptacle later on, but can I nip this "future problem" in the bud during rough inspections?

resistance

I do not see a prob with removing the ears and not the entire yoke. Doesn't hurt to use NM face plates if there's a concern. Also, I would make sure the device is grounded in all cases--regardless. See 250.146 for more information on bonding receptacles. [grounding being the most important issue in my view]

In short, the ears can be removed, but not the entire yoke. The ears have a pre-notch for the purpose of breaking off--Manufacture rules. ;)

Last edited:

cpal

(D) Position of Receptacle Faces. After installation, receptacle
faces shall be flush with or project from faceplates
of insulating material and shall project a minimum of
0.4 mm (0.015 in.) from metal faceplates.

The ears are usefull in maintaning this requirement, I find they are usally not needed on surface mounted boxes.

And cover supported devices.

Charlie

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The biggest problem I've seen when removing ears is when the plate is the only thing keeping the receptacle at the wall surface. One good push can make the plate screw pop though the hole and even break the plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.