Sub Panel Neutral & Ground isolation

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenwood

When installing a subpanel off your main panel should the ground & neutral bars be isolated from each other. I thought they should be isolated in a sub-panel but the 100 amp box I purchased has them tied together with no way off disconnecting them. Sub panel is and Square D home line 100 amp panelboard.

Thanks form your help.

hey_poolboy

Sorry, but if you read the rules of this forum we aren't allowed to help DIYers.
I'm sure there are plenty of licensed Electrical contractors in your area to safely perform this work.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Mike is correct. We cannot provide assistance to a person who is not an electrician and who is planning to do their own electrical installation work. It is an issue of liability. The owner of this Forum does not want us to give you the answer to the one question you asked, without also giving you the answers to the thousands of other questions that you did not know you needed to ask. If you or another person gets hurt, we don?t want you to claim that we should have told you something. But more importantly, we don?t want you or any other person to get hurt.

The only advice we are permitted to give is the advice Mike has already given.

I will state, however, that you are correct in saying the neutral and ground bars must be separated in a sub-panel. I refer you to NEC article 250.24(A)(5).

Your profile states that you are a contractor. But your question tells me you are not an electrical contractor. Therefore, I am closing this thread. If I have mis-judged the situation, then send me a Private Message, and I will reopen the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.