Ugly Ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

cycotcskir

So I get a call from a contractor saying, "if I do the job the way the prints show, there is NO WAY I can follow code, could you come up and look at this?"

I go over and stick my head up into the ceiling and take some pictures. I rotated in a circle, taking a handful of pics, then moved to another location about 8' away then did it again.

I found 18 different violations in about 30-35 different spots JUST from my 17 pictures.

This is just a sample

View attachment 2991

View attachment 2992

cycotcskir

The EC was supposed to run wires into a trough and accross the room. The trough was missing covers, supports, corners, coupling bolts, and couplings were installed backwards. There were many more issues, but I didn't want to post 17 pics.

The EC ended up getting paid to run a few 3' conduits.

This was some of the worst work I have ever seen.

Karl H

The EC was supposed to run wires into a trough and accross the room. The trough was missing covers, supports, corners, coupling bolts, and couplings were installed backwards. There were many more issues, but I didn't want to post 17 pics.

I agree those pics are really bad. How will the EC get a ceiling cover
with all those blatant safety violations?

Hendrix

How far do you go to ask the EC to "clean" it up ?

cycotcskir

Well, due to the nature of the area, my hands were pretty tied. The process of getting things fixed is ongoing, but I don't expect much to happen.

Let's just say, "it's above my pay grade"

I had the contractor make sure that anything that he "touched" was up to code. For now, the rest remains horrid. Believe me, not my preferred outcome.

480sparky

It looks like to different EC's have been in that cieling.

You sure you want to call them EC's?
wink1.gif

Unfortunately this is more common than what you think! I would be willing to bet if you go into any city hall and look up in the ceiling area, you would see that very same thing.

This type of work is from a maintenance man that knows just enough to get a wire from point A to point B.

At every city I have worked for (I'm a inspector) it has taken me YEARS to get all the violations corrected because of "maintenance" men!

Our state (Texas) excempts maintenance people from having to have a license. However recent changes will not allow them to run new circuits. But a lot of damage has already happened.

Scary!!!

cycotcskir

I really don't think that an E.C. is responsible fro that managerie. I personally think that it was done by a Do-it-all-jack-of-all-I-can-make-it-work guy.

Unfortunately this is more common than what you think! I would be willing to bet if you go into any city hall and look up in the ceiling area, you would see that very same thing.

This type of work is from a maintenance man that knows just enough to get a wire from point A to point B.

At every city I have worked for (I'm a inspector) it has taken me YEARS to get all the violations corrected because of "maintenance" men!

Our state (Texas) excempts maintenance people from having to have a license. However recent changes will not allow them to run new circuits. But a lot of damage has already happened.

Scary!!!

cycotcskir

In a few other posts, I've made a few comments about Maint workers. I don't like to slam anyone, but most that I have known don't know as much as they should.

Don't get me wrong, I have known some that were very smart and knew a lot, but they are few and far between. I used to be work maint. too. I had my Masters and a JW at the time, though.

izak

I love finding work like that
If I can find the contractor that did it

I know people who can make them fix it
or have their License revoked
AND fined
within a couple months or so
quite easily

daleuger

Out of edit....

ROFL maybe that's why they have all the caution tape strung up in the ceiling. You were warned. :D

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
After reading this thread again, and thinking about my past work and the range of work quality I've seen over the years, I have an opinion, or a theory, on why we see sloppy and non-compliant work so much.

The difference is that the slobs (for lack of a better single word) aren't enjoying the work. They don't take pride in doing it right, and they don't stand back and admire what they've accomplished and created.

I know that the real world demands cost-cutting and rapid productivity, but there's no excuse, for example, for sloppy panel dressing. It doesn't really take longer to do it well, it just takes wanting to.

To me, it's like Mr. Miyagi teaching Daniel to make a Bonsai tree. You have to make a picture in your mind, "perfect down to last pine needle," open your eyes, remember the picture, and "make like picture."

I remember the first time when, as a helper, I was given the responsibility to make up a breaker panel all by myself. I spent about 10 minutes looking for flaws before I said I was done. I wanted it to be perfect. "Like picture."

I still find myself doing that, admiring my work, while secretly looking for any details I've missed. Maybe something could be straighter, cable or conduit more parallel, or a plate screw slot turned vertical. That one thing that separates perfection from pretty good.

Maybe it's just me. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.