white wire reidentified as traveler (yes or no)

Status
Not open for further replies.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Re: white wire reidentified as traveler (yes or no)

keenalu1 said:
this debate is worth a lunch to me, as for i have wagered amongst my potential peers.
:D

I'm impressed that you are willing to risk going hungry for a debate over an idea in the NEC. Sounds like you've bit onto being an electrician, hook, line and sinker.

There is no point of Code so insignificant as to escape excessive and exuberant debate by electricians.

dlhoule

Re: fopa

keenalu1 said:
i spelled faux pas I 've read most of your posts and others who aren't grammatically correct for the most part. i hadn't realized i am amongst such ...( i have no idea how to spell) roadscholars

:wink: :wink: :wink:

If it is Rhodes Scholars, you are looking for; I doubt that we have more than 2 or 3 on this forum. A lot of us are just electricians with no more than a high school education, along with our training in the trade.

If we have any Rhodes Scholars on the forum, I would like to know. Most of the college educated people do not make any more of an impression on me than anyone else. A Rhodes Scholar....now that is another story. I will be very impressed! :) :D :D

Minuteman

dlhoule said:
keenalu1 said:
i spelled faux pas I 've read most of your posts and others who aren't grammatically correct for the most part. i hadn't realized i am amongst such ...( i have no idea how to spell) roadscholars

:wink: :wink: :wink:

If it is Rhodes Scholars, you are looking for; I doubt that we have more than 2 or 3 on this forum. A lot of us are just electricians with no more than a high school education, along with our training in the trade.

If we have any Rhodes Scholars on the forum, I would like to know. Most of the college educated people do not make any more of an impression on me than anyone else. A Rhodes Scholar....now that is another story. I will be very impressed! :) :D :D

I spent quite a bit of time learning, out on the roads as a "traveler" electrician. Does that qualify me as a roads scholar???

dlhoule

Michael, If you had left out the 1 to 2 percent of your posts that I have not agreed with, I would say absolutely. But; alas that one or two percent. :p :p

Mike03a3

Re: i.e. ( for instance) cold switch ( what is for a 1000?)

Re: i.e. ( for instance) cold switch ( what is for a 1000?)

keenalu1 said:
a cold switch- in lay persons terms- is when power or hot or ungrounded single or three phase conductors ...providing it's less than 300 volts between system phases in the same box, enclosure,etc(etcetera) ...in an unsupervised,or otherwise unattended SINGLE FAMILY DWELLING....... (oh?!.. where was i) is brought to the light, receptacle, or whatever and thus (utilization equiptment)..... ( ...."()"- means a thought amidst meanstream thought....although the code inerprets a receptacle as a device and therefore could potentially be an exception to the topic at hand...) two wires ...( well really three because we need to ground said switch...)are extended beyond the light to a single pole single throw switch for arguement sake... which is not the case in my question ... were this box is the only means of disconnection for said utilization equiptment ... ( once again the light?!@#!)

eschew obfuscation

. . . seriously - if you would simple write a straight-forward sentence I might be able to understand what you are trying to say. A stream-of-consciousness recital of what seem to be random synaptic misfires is difficult to comprehend.

dlhoule

BTW...It's RHODES" Scholar

Maybe if you live in Australia, but according to the American Association of Rhodes Scholars. It is Rhodes Scholar.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
keenalu1,

George gave you an excellent thread to link to and read in his post at the bottom of page one of this thread.

Also, you'll find more fuel for your lunch debate at this thread: Using neutral as a traveller on 3way switch

Depending which side you've chosen you may find the following interesting, that is, the fact that the branch circuit breaker (15 or 20 Amp 125 Volt) is very likely to be listed as a switch, making the branch circuit home run a "switched leg" before it even reaches a "light switch".

Edit - Redirected URL to new Forum location
Al

Last edited:
Al,

I have a question i try to hit the link seems dont work with me today i dont understand why but if you willing try to fix this link ??

{ i can understand this format did change so kinda like chase bug again }

Also, you'll find more fuel for your lunch debate at this thread: Using neutral as a traveller on 3way switch

this above that is your qouteation so

thanks for your time to review this

Merci , Marc

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Why do we need to reidentify the white conductor anyways, isn't it obvious as to what is doing when you see it connected to any switch?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Heretic! :D

With the advent of the AFCI breaker, I imagine it becomes a bit cloudier as time goes on. We must protect the innocent from themselves at all costs. :roll:

billymoore

bad asses do exist

bad asses do exist

the code only states three colors. white [for neutral only], green [for ground only], and orange [for stinger leg of 240 delta system]. no exceptions...

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Not true Billy, read 400.22, 424.35, 504.80, and 517.160. You are right in that there are no exceptions because these are not exceptions.;)

Roger

Minuteman

roger said:
Why do we need to re-identify the white conductor anyways, isn't it obvious as to what is doing when you see it connected to any switch?

The only reason that we re-identify the white conductor that's on a switch, is, 'cause we a supposed to.

'Em electrons don't care what color the insulation is!

The average "trained" electrician knows why it's there (that its being used as a switch leg/traveler - and not a neutral) but, we have to be considerate about the next schmuck that stumbles into the circuity.

No - we can't make it idiot proof. As idiots are getting dumber all the time.

We just have to make a good faith attempt, to let somebody else know, "whazzup".

Status
Not open for further replies.